Ch.25: Curiosity Killed The Detective

"A dance?" I asked as I opened the bottle of water I had in my hands. Joey and the others nodded in excitement.

"Yeah, and it's not just any dance. Since the beginning of the year, we have been waiting for it," said Rayne.

"How so?"

Rayne was about to say something when Joey rushed in before her. "This dance is to celebrate the establishment of this school. Each year it is celebrated on the twentieth of April."

"And it so happens that it's been ten years since the school was built. This means that tomorrow is the tenth anniversary," Jeremy added.

"Last year, students under fifteen weren't allowed to attend. But since I'm fifteen now, I can finally see what the big deal is," beamed Max, taking a bite out of his ham sandwich.

"Trust me. It's boring. You will be better off not going," Christian remarked.

I turned to face him. "You haven't attended this dance?"

"Once, but it was very dull." He shrugged.

"Don't listen to Christian. Everything to him is boring. You need to think about what dress you should be wearing to the dance." Joey winked.

"I'm not going," I exclaimed, causing Jeremy, Rayne, Max, and Joey to gasp. I raised an eyebrow. "Geez, guys, a bit dramatic?"

"Why not?" Joey whined.

"Yeah, just because your boyfriend is not going doesn't mean you shouldn't," Jeremy said, and I shook my head.

"No, it's not that. I just don't want to." I clarified. I don't know why I felt like not going to this dance would be the right thing to do. "Besides, I don't have a proper dress."

Joey rolled his eyes. "It's not a royal ball! Just wear something a little nicer."

Before I could protest, I heard a voice call from behind me."Holmes." I turned in my seat to see that it was Jacob. Everyone shared awkward glances at each other, except for Christian, who tensed up beside me. However, Jacob ignored the stares and focused his eyes on me.

"Yeah?" I noticed a strange look in his eyes that was saying he had something important to share with me.

"Can I talk to you?" he said, glancing at the others. "Alone."

"Sure," I said, getting up. Everyone had their eyes on me as I followed Jacob. I have no clue why they disliked him, even Joey, who always said he was hot. I guess it had something to do with everyone knowing that he likes me.

But they all know that I don't. They don't have to dislike him for that reason.

He led me around the school cafeteria towards a corner, where we were out of sight. But I could still see the table my friends were sitting at, and their gazes were pinned on us. "So you wanted to talk to me?" I said, steering my attention to him.

"Your friends sure are curious," he mentioned, lifting a black eyebrow.

I winced. "Sorry about that."

He shrugged. "Anyway, are you going to the dance tomorrow?"

"No. Not really."

"Well, you have to."

"Why?" I asked. What's so special about this school dance, anyway?

"Tomorrow, Gibson will be out of his office attending it. And it's our chance to investigate. We have to get into his office during the dance to find out what he's been up to," he informed.

"And do you think that he's hiding something in there?"

"I don't know, but he always keeps the key to his office in his pocket. Here," he said, taking my hand in his. He opened the palm of my hand and placed a silver key. "I was able to steal the key and make a copy. And I returned it before he could notice."