Ch. 14: The Unfolding

Samuel's words rang through my ear as I tried to figure out what they meant. The leader of The Black Crows is Mr. Black? That's not possible. It couldn't be...could it? From all the things Samuel told me about the leader, Mr. Black did not seem like that kind of person. He takes care of the special kids, gives them a place to call home, a place they could be themselves at.

They trusted him.

"That's not true. There's no way that Mr. Black could be the leader," I said.

I didn't know him well, but I see him sometimes in the school halls, smiling and greeting the students. My friends spoke about him as if he was their parent. They loved him. And from what I learned, he loved them too.

Samuel sighed, leaning on his desk. "Ms. Holmes, Gibson hides his true self well. I'm telling you, he's not what you think."

I wasn't sure if I should believe him. He might be lying about this. I mean, it's pretty hard to imagine that Mr. Black would hate people with no powers since he owns a school pretty much full of them. I got up from my seat, deciding that I had had enough. Samuel told me all of this, but I still don't know why. And frankly, I just wanted to go back to my friends.

"You're lying. I'm sorry, but I don't believe you. Mr. Black owns a school full of normal people. He's not what you say. Now, excuse me, I have to go."

I turned around and started walking to the door, hoping my situation would allow me to. It's true I had no idea how to return to my friends, but I'll find a way somehow. I could walk now that my arm and leg weren't injured anymore.

"He's going to hurt them."

I was about to reach the doorknob, but I stopped in my tracks. Samuel's words made me stop right there, turning around to face him despite my previous determination to leave.

"What?" I found myself asking.

Those white-blue eyes held mine. "Your friends; Joey Anderson, Rayne Collins, Max Carter, Lena Hart, Christian Jenson, and Jeremy Tan. He's going to hurt them."

"No, no way, he won't. He loves them," I countered. I was starting to get pissed off at the fact that he used my friends to make me stop and listen.

But those alluring eyes didn't falter. "He will use them, hurt them, and possibly end up killing them if you don't do something to stop it."

"Prove it," I scoffed. "Prove what you're saying to me right now, or I walk away."

I would have turned and left, not wanting to hear any more of this. But the way he held himself so surely made me hesitate, almost like he knew the words he was saying were the absolute truth, the only truth.

He turned back towards a drawer, and I saw him pulling out a black file. "I never thought it would come to this, but here you go. You wanted proof. There you have it," he said, handing me the file.

I took it and watched him go back to his desk, leaning on it and lighting up a cigarette. His eyes were on me, studying every inch of my face as I looked down to see the letters B.C written on the file in big white letters.

I glanced back at the two brothers, and their attention was on me. I heaved, ignoring them, and opened the file.

It made my stomach twist.

There was a picture of three people that appeared to be my age; two boys and one girl. The three of them were on the ground, their eyes shut. The girl with the short red hair had three needles pierced on her arm, leg, and wrist. She looked pale and had dark spots on her body. The boys were the same, covered in needles and multi-colored spots. They looked like they were in an abandoned warehouse or something; the page that had the picture on appeared from an old newspaper.