Ch.16: The Truth Behind His Eyes

"Ms. Holmes!" My eyes snapped wide open, and I jumped in my seat, making my English book drop to the ground. I rubbed my sleepy eyes as I looked up to see Monkey Head looking at me with a fire burning in his eyes, his face carved in a scowl.

He had his hands placed on his hips as he tapped his foot on the ground. I heard the whole class burst into laughter as my face blew up in embarrassment. I must have fallen asleep during class.

"Do you find my class boring, young lady?" he bellowed.

My face became even redder than it was as I looked down. "No, sir, I'm sorry."

Actually, his class was boring, but I couldn't possibly say that because I didn't want to get into more trouble.

"One more time, and I will have to send you to Mr. Black's office." He waved a threatening finger at me.

"I promise I won't do it again."

And with that, he gave me a glare before going back to teaching.

I sighed and picked up my pen to write the notes on the board. It's been a whole week since we got back from our trip. The entire class asked me about how I hurt my leg, and I just told them that I tripped down and fell on my knees.

But sometimes, I still have nightmares about the hunter. They were all the same. I was lying on the grass, my leg and arm bleeding, and I couldn't move. The hunter aimed his riffle on Max's head, and I tried to scream at him to run, but no matter how loud I was, no one could hear me. And in the end, Max ended up getting shot, and that's when I woke up sweating and breathing heavily. It's probably why I slept in class.

And as for Max and me, he stopped being rude. We would talk a lot more and even watch animated movies together. The bottom line, he completely changed his attitude towards me.

Time went by, and English class was over. I picked up my book and continued reading, waiting for the Math teacher to arrive.

"You're still reading that shit?" I heard Jacob say, and I looked up to see him standing in front of me with his arms crossed over his chest.

I smirked as I ignored him and went back to my book. "Of course I am. After all, he's the better detective."

Joey groaned from behind me. "Not again!"

Even though Jacob and I got along sometimes, we still fought over whose better. It's just because he's too stubborn to admit that Sherlock was in a completely different league than Poirot.

He clicked his tongue, a smug expression on his face. "You see, that's where you're wrong. Clearly, Poirot is superior because Shitlock cannot even catch Arsene Lupin."

Oh, no, he didn't! He didn't just call my Sherlock a shit. I put my book on my desk and stood up, hands flat on the wooden surface as my eyes set on his.

"At least, they have a museum only for Sherlock, right here in your own country. Which means that even Great England thinks that Sherlock is better," I said.

He frowned. "Shitlock is nothing compared to Poirot."

I chuckled while shaking my head. "Even Ms. Marple is better than him. I think Agatha Christie made a mistake creating Poirot. She should have come up with a far more interesting character."

He was about to protest when Joey cut him off. "Oh, for the love of God! They both suck."

"What did you say!?" We both whipped our heads at him, and he just shrugged and sat back in his seat. We were about to continue with our argument when the teacher came, and we had to glare at each other before retreating.