Ch.19: Heartbreak

"Shit! Joey, wake up!" I yelled, shaking Joey's shoulders as he laid on his bed, his face buried in a pillow.

"JustfiveminuteAriana," he muttered, drool leaking out of the corner of his mouth.

I rolled my eyes and shook him harder, then grabbed my own pillow and started beating his head with it. "Joey! Everyone at the house left. It's eight-thirty! We're fucking late!"

That seemed to work because he quickly snapped his head from the pillow to me. His eyes were wide open, and the sleep seemed to wash away as he scurried off his bed and ran to the bathroom, cursing and tripping until he reached the door and slammed it shut.

I sighed and ran to my closet to get dressed quickly.

Yesterday, Lena and I finally got out of the hospital. The doctors told us that it was okay to go to school, and we would be fine as long as we didn't get into another fire. But yesterday, I wasn't tired at all and ended up watching Harry Potter movies with Joey. I think we went to bed around two a.m, but I can't believe that the others didn't wake us up.

I have checked the whole house, and there was no one. And now, I have to deal with Mr. Monkey Head because English was the first period.

Sighing, I slipped on my skirt and put on my blazer. Then, I combed my hair and let it fall over my shoulders. By the time I was done, Joey had walked out of the bathroom. "What the hell were you doing there? I'm already finished."

Honestly! He takes longer in the bathroom than me, and I'm a girl!

"Baby, it takes a while to be this god-damn gorgeous," he said, showcasing his bared chest and the lean muscles.

I just laughed and rolled my eyes at his weird behavior. "Okay, now hurry up, or we'll get detention."

After Mr. Gorgeous was done dressing, we grabbed our school bags and hurried out of our room and the house.

We ran our way to the school, looking like maniacs. If anyone saw us, they would think we were a pair of crazy people running for our lives. And honestly, at that point, I would rather run for my life than face Mr. Monkey Head.

"Hurry up!" I said breathlessly as we sprinted through the school halls. I literally felt like collapsing, probably because I was running pretty fast. The doctors did reassure me that my health was fine and I could go back to school, but they also told me not to push myself too hard.

And right now, I felt like I could faint at any second.

"WE'RE HERE!" Joey and I both announced as we opened the door to our classroom. We were gasping for air as we leaned on each side of the door frame.

Sighing in relief that we made it to class, I smiled at Joey and high-fived him. "We. Made. It."

I'm surprised that we actually made it before English class was over. Oh, speaking of which, we turned our heads to look at the whole class. They were staring at us as if they saw ghosts. Rayne gasped and turned to Jeremy, a hand on her mouth. They probably realized that they left us sleeping. On the other hand, Lena was grinning amusingly at us, and Jacob shared the expression. Christian looked inclined to pretend he didn't know us.

"Oh, yes you are, Ms. Holmes." The very irritated voice of Monkey Head made my gaze snap from Christian and turn to him. He had a scowl placed on his face while crossing his arms over his chest.

Oh, shit...

"Ms. Holmes, Mr. Anderson. I'm getting really tired of your behavior. Don't you think just because you foolishly got into a fire to save your friend that I'm going to go easy on you," he said, face twisted in disdain.