Plaid Shirts

Hey guys! This chapter is sort of a filler chapter but I hope you guys stil like it! (even though I really don't) I'll try to update soon but finals is next week so I can't make any promises. If you like the chapter please remember to vote and comment letting me know what you think!

Thanks guys!

-Emma<3

______________________

Chapter 23

"Honey, when do you and Mikayla want to have your birthday party?" My mom said as she peeked her head into the doorway.

Ah, yes. It was finally the time for Mikayla and I's annual birthday party. We had thrown one every year since we were six. Obviously, as Mikayla got bigger more celebrities tended to show up. Now, the only people on her guest list are celebrities. Since there are so many celebrities, people at my school beg me to invite them. I ignore them because I can't take it. They aren't coming for me or for my birthday. They just want to meet my sister or her friends. I wouldn't dare invite them. So, my guest list ends up being up to maybe ten people while my sister's can be up to 100. My mom forces her to cut it down but some show up anyway. So in the end, it's pretty much Mikayla's party.

"I was thinking about having the party the day before your prom since you have that Friday off." My mom suggested,

I nodded my head not really listening, "Yeah, sure." I said as I buried my head more into my book.

"Who are you going to invite?" My mom squeaked with excitement.

"Just Ryan and Rachel this year," I mumbled.

My mom frowned, "Just two?"

"Yes, mom. Just two." I said with attitude. I got off my bed and pushed past her out the doorway. "I'm going to Ryan's. Bye."

I didn't wait for a response. Although, there wasn't even one. My mom knew when to back off and right now I was just upset and lonely. I ran through Ryan's door and shouted out his name. I went into the living room and found he and Rachel snuggling on the sofa. Just what I wanted to see, couples being all cute and cuddily.

"Hey, Mallory!" They said in unison.

"Hi," I mumbled as I plopped down on the cushion between them.

"Nice plaid shirt," Rachel snickered while pinching the fabric.

I didn't say anything back. A weak smile just crept onto my lips as I stared at the blank tv.

"I haven't seen you wear a plaid shirt since sophomore year," Rachel stated.

"Yeah, you've been wearing plaid shirts every day now," Ryan observed.

"They're comfy," I mumbled.

Rachel's eyes stared at the red and white cloth, "This looks rather big. Is this a man's shirt?"

"No," I said a little too quickly.

"Is this..." Rachel gasped, "Is this Zayn's?" She shouted.

"No, it's not-"

"Yes! It is Zayn's!" She interrupted "The last time you wore plaid shirts was when you broke up with Joey Garcia sophomore year! You wore plain shirts everyday for like two weeks. And now you're wearing them since you and Zayn broke up. These are your break up clothes!"

It was true. Everything she said was true. I don't know why did that. I honestly hated plaid shirts. To be honest, I didn't feel pretty in these shirts and during break ups I don't feel pretty at all. I feel insecure. If that guy who broke up with me doesn't want me than no one else will. So I never tried to look pretty to get another guy. I just hid myself away in plaid shirts.

"Take that off right now!" Rachel scolded.

"I don't want to!" I cried.

Rachel tried to tug the shirt off me but I shot up and ran away from her. Rachel chased after me in attempt to take the shirt away from me. I didn't want her to take it away from me. It's the one thing I had left of Zayn. It smelled like him and although it made me miss him even more, I still wanted it. I couldn't leave it.

"Mallory, this isn't healthy!" She shouted as I ran up the steps.

I locked myself in Ryan's bedroom and sat on his bed. God, I was ridiculous. I was so attached to this stupid shirt. I hate Zayn. I hate the way he's making me act. I'm locking myself away just to protect his shirt. I was so stupid. I was one of those crazy girls. And it's all because of Zayn.

I didn't even realize tears were falling from my eyes. I quickly wiped them away when I heard a click and the door open. Ryan and Rachel stepped in. I looked at them shocked. I had locked that door. Ryan held up a Q-tip with a weak grin. I should have known. Ryan had those old door knobs that you could unlock with those things. I shook my head and put my head into my hands. My friends took a seat on either side of me. I shouldn't have come over. They're just going to give me a lecture on how I need to get over Zayn and that he's a jerk and he doesn't deserve me. Isn't that what friends always say to you during a break up?

Ryan wrapped an arm around me, "You okay?"

It was a stupid question, really. "What do you think?"

Ryan let out a little chuckle, "Don't let Zayn and his little articles of clothing do this to you." He whispered. "You're better than to let a guy hurt you like this."

"He's probably coming to the birthday party, you know," I spoke quietly. "I don't know how I'm going to face him."

"We know you can do it. You can be in the same room as him and not freak out." Rachel said.

"I don't think I can," I shook my head.

"Rachel and I will be right by your side. You can do it, Mallory. It's going to okay." Ryan said.

The phone rang before I could say anything. Ryan stood up and grabbed the phone off his desk.

"It's for you," Rayn said after he answered.

I took the phone from his hands, "Hello?"

I let out a sigh at the sound of my mom's voice. My mom informed me that my sister was home. I didn't even know if I could face my sister. She went back to Zayn when she knew my feelings for him. She even hated him and she still went back to him. She was acting like a total hyprocrite and I didn't want to deal with someone like that right now.

I hung up and handed the phone back to Ryan, "I have to go." I mumbled and went out the door without waiting for a response.

I walked into my house with my heat racing. I could hear my sister talking with my mom. They were talking about party plans. That was the last thing I wanted to talk about. I decided to skip out on the party talk and rushed up the stairs. I was heading towards my room when I heard the toilet flush in the bathroom. Maybe my dad came with her but he said he had a meeting today so he wasn't able to. The door opened and my heart stopped.

Zayn stood a few feet in front of me. He looked sleeply, probably from the long flight. I heard he went back to London for a little bit while Mikayla was in New York shooting her new music video. His hair was yet to be styled and he was dressed in sweats in a hoodie. I remember wearing that hoodie one night when we made a late night run to McDonald's. He lended me that hoodie when I said I was cold. Zayn really was a gentleman. I hated him for that.

Zayn and I stood just a few feet away from each other. Not a single word came out of either of our lips. 

Even thinking of all the nice things he had done I still wanted to scream at him. I wanted to tell him how much I hated him for everything he did. I wanted to hit him and push him and just scream. I wanted to tell him he didn't deserve me or Mikayla. I wanted to say all these terrible things to him. But in the end all I could choke out was,

"I miss you."