Chapter 1 ✔️

A/N: Initial book cover for Courage in the media section. Yikes it was so bad lmao 😅

Meredith's wavy, bright red hair bounced in the wind as she jogged around the school's vicinity with the campus mutt, Dude, by her side. She was one of the few students who had a special bond with the dog, although he was friendly to practically everyone. Like her mother, Merida, she was very adventurous and didn't like being tied down, which is quite clear now that she's running around by herself (with Dude, of course) as a way to clear her mind.

The reason for her running? She had just gotten into a disagreement with Ben. There was no question that Ben was like her brother. Their parents met one another years ago, even before their children were both born, and they formed an unexpected friendship. It was to be expected that they'd want their kids to be friends, too, and luckily, it turned out that way perfectly.

Ben had just told Meredith about his proclamation to allow a few of the children from the Isle of the Lost — the island surrounded by a magical barrier, the one where all the villains and their descendants were banished to — to live in Auradon. He claimed to want to give them a chance at normal lives, meaning having friends, going to school, and being in a completely different environment from the Isle. He had told his parents first, of course, followed by Audrey (his girlfriend, the daughter of Aurora), and then Meredith. He actually thought she was outraged because she wasn't the first to be told, but that wasn't the case at all. She didn't care about that. She was furious because Ben was being so gullible that he was willingly going to let these people who have been taught how to do wrong things from birth to be here, and they would be coming tomorrow. She only had one day to change his mind.

But as Meredith jogged and jogged until her legs grew sore, she decided she shouldn't try to change her friend's mind. It would be selfish, and he was soon to be crowned as king. He should learn to make his own choices and if things went wrong, he'd have to face the consequences. More importantly, it wasn't her place to tell him what to do. It would be wrong to interfere in her friend's life like that, and even worse to do it to someone who was going to be king. Meredith supposed that for now, she'd have to bear with his decision and try to see things from his point of view.

Meredith finally halted to a stop, now on the edge of the field of Auradon Prep where some PE classes and varsity games were held. She glanced down to see if Dude was still next to her, and when she found that he was still happily wagging his tail at her, she continued on her way back to the dorms across the school building, this time walking at a slower pace.

 She glanced down to see if Dude was still next to her, and when she found that he was still happily wagging his tail at her, she continued on her way back to the dorms across the school building, this time walking at a slower pace

It didn't take long for her to arrive at the building. She left Dude to hang around in the lobby, assuming that other students would like to play with him, too. She knew she spent too much time with the dog already and didn't want to hog him from the others.

She eventually reached her dorm and entered right away, finding Jane studying on her bed. Although they were roommates, they weren't that close. Of course, they were undoubtedly good friends and spoke often, but Meredith usually spent her time with her childhood friends, Ben and even Chad, son of Cinderella and Charming (although, he could be very rude and narcissistic).