Chapter 13 ✔️

Cheers and shouts of excitement coming from the athletics field could be heard all the way to inside the locker rooms. It was the first tourney game of the academic year, and the first one with the transfer students from the Isle of the Lost. Like the rest of the student body, Meredith was stoked. She heard how good of a player Jay was, and of course, she would be supporting Ben, Chad, and even Carlos — after all, he was the one she interacted with the most so far from those who came from the Isle, even more so than Evie and Mal, whom she encountered many times due to their rooms being so near each other in the dorm. She also couldn't deny that it would be a highly interesting game now that the Isle of the Lost students were added into the mix of athletes in their team.

Meredith was originally one of the people who were most skeptical about Ben's first official proclamation to give a chance to the new generation from the Isle of the Lost. However, she had started to get used to them just a bit. There was still some doubts within her, but coincidentally, she knew that team sports were one of most effective ways to show a person's true character. If Jay and Carlos played by the rules and as a team later, she knew she'd end up trusting them for the most part. If they played dirty, that might just be the sign that gave away that they were still rotten to the core, but Meredith wasn't so sure that she wanted to see that happen anymore.

On the other hand, many students had already warmed up to the four very quickly. Evie surprisingly related to many girls and had a knack for fashion, Mal earned the favor of many students by doing their hair, Jay was extremely athletic and a ladies' man, and Carlos, though also into sports, seemed to also have a talent for technology from what Meredith had overheard. He performed well in classes, too, and the most interesting thing to her was that he now had a soft spot for Dude. The two of them were becoming inseparable, and while it would have annoyed Meredith if if were another person who stole Dude's heart, she found herself not really minding that it was Carlos.

Tightening her ponytail one last time, Meredith was ready to go. Some girls were still prepping in the girls' locker room, but majority had already left, so she supposed it was about time she headed to the field, too. She walked out and into the hall separating the girls' and boys' locker room and ended up bumping into the one and only Prince Ben.

 She walked out and into the hall separating the girls' and boys' locker room and ended up bumping into the one and only Prince Ben

"Whoa — oh, hey Ben," Meredith greeted, stepping away from him. "How are you feeling?"

"Really excited, Mer," he replied. "It's our first time playing with Jay and Carlos."

"Are they as good as I've heard?"

"They are. Although, Coach doesn't know if they're ready to actually go against the Sherwood Forest Falcons. They are our biggest rivals, and after all, they're still new."

Meredith sighed but had to agree.

"That's a shame," she said. "I was actually looking forward to seeing them play. I'm sure it would be much different from when it's just you guys from the old team."