Chapter 37

"Come on, pick up..."

Meredith paced back and forth in the kitchen of Evie's home, her phone ringing multiple times as she attempted to reach her friends and warn them about Audrey. There was no way she would let that girl on the loose in Auradon — if she couldn't go with Carlos and the rest of the VKs to the Isle of the Lost, this was the least and best she could do.

She had tried calling Jane and Ben but had always been sent to voicemail. Jane must've been preparing for her birthday party since it was about to officially start soon, and Ben must've been rushing to get ready because she assumed he had just about finished his duties with the council.

"Any luck?"

Meredith stopped pacing and turned on the spot, finding Dizzy looking at her anxiously with her round glasses that magnified her eyes.

"Not yet," Meredith replied honestly. "But don't worry, I'll tell Jane and Ben everything once I get to them. It'll be alright."

Dizzy nodded, sending her an encouraging smile.

"Okay," she agreed. "I'll let Squeaky and Squirmy play some games to kill time."

"Thanks, Dizzy." With that, the younger girl retreated to the living room, leaving Meredith to her own worries again.

Finally, from her phone, there was a click that indicated that the person she was calling picked up.

"Hey, Mer! Where are you?" Jane's voice rang in her ear. "The party's about to start — oh, or are you and Carlos not coming? Do they not celebrate birthdays on the Isle? Would you rather stay with him? I completely understand, but —"

"No, of course we're coming," Meredith cut in. "Or, we'll try —"

"Oh, great! So, why are you late? I mean, it hasn't really started yet, but theres a bunch of cakes and pastries here already and I thought you and Carlos would wanna be the first to try them."

"I —"

"Also, Chad's been bothering me this entire time! I managed to shoo him away because there were some people taking selfies and naturally, he wanted to be part —"

"Jane!" Meredith said urgently. "You have to leave now. Or just find someplace safe to hide. Actually, maybe you should tell your mom, too. Or you could —"

"What on earth are you talking about?"

"Right, sorry. It's Audrey."

"What about her? I didn't invite her."

"I know, but she's got the scepter!" Meredith exclaimed, growing frustrated both at Jane for rambling, and herself when she couldn't get to the point immediately. "Maleficent's scepter. And she's out for revenge, so you have to..."

On the other end of the line, Jane stood frozen by the Enchanted Lake as Meredith's voice got drowned out. It was because all she could see and focus on now was the girl who entered the venue — she was dressed in a purple and pink gown and had her hair styled in the same shade. To top it all off, a black lace cloak was draped over her body, the crown was atop her head, and the scepter was grasped firmly in her right hand.

"What's wrong?" Meredith asked when Jane fell silent. "Hello?"

"Looks like someone forgot to invite me," a mischievous voice said. It was faint, for it must have been from someone standing a good distance away from Jane, but Meredith could tell that it was Audrey. "Well, don't be expecting Mal, she's... not feeling herself."

"Oh no," Meredith mumbled.

"Does that make you sad? Does it just ruin everything? Mindless little drones!" Audrey shouted.