Chapter 26

Despite all the events that went down in the Isle of the Lost, Meredith, Lonnie, and the VK's acted like nothing life-threatening had happened. They went straight back into whatever duties they had to fulfill because honestly, what else could they do? They still had school and the cotillion that evening to focus on. Jay and Carlos proceeded to their R.O.A.R. training and Lonnie even joined as their new captain, Ben was off doing more work as king, Mal was still taking some time off alone to think about her relationship with Ben, and Evie was busy making the final alterations on the many commissions she accepted for that night.

Meanwhile, Meredith had just finished taking care of the last-minute logistical matters regarding the cotillion, and now, she was finally free. Evie had called her in for her last fitting and to finally claim her dress for the big night. It was around three in the afternoon when she found herself in Evie's dorm, standing on a pedestal in her dress and surrounded by racks and mannequins full of gowns and suits of every size and color.

"It's absolutely perfect," Evie said ecstatically, stepping back to admire her work. Meredith caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror and smiled — she did look good. Evie had chosen the perfect color palette that suited Meredith's hair and skin color, and she tailored it in such a way that was fit for her height and size.

"You're a miracle worker, Evie," Meredith beamed. Evie shrugged as if it was no big deal.

"I know."

Meredith entered the makeshift fitting area at the corner of the room. Once she had finished changing back into her normal clothes, she drew open the curtain to find that Evie was placing her gown in a garment bag.

"Here you go," she grinned, handing it to Meredith.

"Thanks, Evie," she said gratefully, taking it into her own hands. "Have you finished all your fittings?"

"Yeah, I'm just waiting for Doug so we can deliver all these dresses and suits. Oh, but Carlos has one last fitting to go. I left him for last because it's not like he has a date to pick up on time anyway, right?"

Meredith's heart stopped momentarily. She whipped her head to face Evie, spluttering.

"H-He doesn't have a date? I... I thought he asked Jane."

"Jane?" Evie repeated confusedly. "Where did you get that idea?"

"Well, Lonnie and Doug kept telling Carlos to ask her out that one time at the cafeteria and I just assumed..." Meredith trailed off lamely.

"They were just suggesting it. He didn't really push through with it," Evie laughed as if the idea was so far-fetched to her.

"... I see."

"Oh my goodness." The blue haired girl paused and placed her hands on her hips as the realization dawned on her. "Is that why you and Chad are going together? And... and is that also why you and Carlos haven't been talking the past few days?"

The redhead could only smile sheepishly at all of those questions. Evie's jaw dropped at her response.

"No way," she said, clapping her hands to her mouth in shock. "Mer, Carlos never planned on asking Jane to the cotillion."

Meredith's heart thumped erratically. This changed everything. This whole time, she and Carlos had misunderstood one another. She wasn't sure if he even wanted to go with her, but this was better than him asking her own roommate out while she had feelings for him.

A surge of confidence shot through her and she suddenly felt the need to talk to Carlos right then and there. She didn't know what she was going to say, but she wanted to clear everything up now that she had the courage to do so.