Chapter 31

A/N: Enjoy these photos of the core four bc their friendship is just so pure 🥺

It was time for the VK's to head back to the Isle of the Lost. As usual, Meredith and Ben did what they could to help them plan, organize, and pack for the trip. They all hoped that they would be successful in convincing the Isle kids that moving to Auradon would be life-changing for them.

Mal and Evie packed very heavily — they brought enough clothes to last more than a week by the looks of it. On the other hand, Carlos and Jay packed lightly — almost too lightly. All they had was one small backpack each, and Meredith even interrogated them down the stairs to check if they brought all their essentials.

"Toothbrush?"

"Yeah."

"Shampoo and conditioner?"

"Mhmm."

"Pajamas?"

"Yep."

"Extra clothes?"

"Yes, Meredith, we've packed everything we could possibly need," Carlos nudged her as they reached the first floor of the Auradon Prep dormitory.

"Yeah, we've got everything under control," Jay said. "Well, better than Mal and Evie, I think."

In unison, the three of them looked up to find the two girls struggling to bring down their suitcases. Actually, it was Ben, Lumiere, and Cogsworth who were struggling — they were the ones carrying the trunks because they were that heavy and too many for just Mal and Evie to handle.

"You know you're only going for the weekend, right?" Ben said to them, grunting under the weight of one particularly large case. "You're only there for two nights."

"Two nights! Oh my, thank you for reminding me! I almost forgot my second alternate evening gown!" Evie exclaimed. With that, she bounded back up the stairs and sprinted back into her room to grab even more clothes.

"I'm sorry. Most of it is Evie's," Mal said with an apologetic smile.

"We travel light," Jay said loudly in passing.

"No baggage," Carlos added playfully. "At least, not anymore."

"If it turns out you forgot something, I'm going to say 'I told you so'," Meredith said with a hint of humor.

"Relax, this —" Carlos shook his backpack. "— is enough for two nights."

Eventually, the group of students walked out of the dorm together, lugging their bags along with them as they made their way to the driveway where the royal limousine was parked. Once they came to a stop just right in front of the statue of King Beast, Mal pulled Ben into a hug.

"Thanks for doing this," she said gratefully. "Letting us go back to talk to the kids, I mean."

"Yeah, man, we're so pumped that more kids like us are going to be able to go to Auradon Prep," Carlos beamed, bumping fists with Jay. He was initially worried about going back to a place with such bad memories, but after taking some time to think it over, he couldn't wait because this entire visit would be for a good reason. Soon, villain kids just like himself would get to experience the joys of living in Auradon as well.

"I am, too," Ben smiled.

Just then, Evie rushed outside, wheeling yet another trunk down the pathway.

"Wait, these things have wheels?" Ben asked incredulously. The entire time, he, Lumiere, Cogsworth had been lifting them up with extreme difficulty.