Chapter 36

Amidst all the adjustments and plans taking place now that the new set of villain kids had arrived, there was another event at Auradon that Meredith and her friends had to focus on: Jane's birthday. Naturally, as some of her closest friends, they agreed to help Fairy Godmother with a big chunk of the party preparations and of course, actually attending it. It would take place by the Enchanted Lake, and everyone who was invited couldn't wait.

Carlos was in the middle of packing the picnic baskets for the party that day in Evie's kitchen when Jay came calling his name.

"Carlos! You got something at the door!"

"What is it?" Carlos shouted back.

"A package!"

"Package?" he wondered, his hand clutching an apple just hovering above the basket's opening. When the realization hit him, he halted. "I don't remember ordering any — oh."

Carlos dropped the apple and came sprinting out of the kitchen, into the living room, and to the front door where Jay was. Pushing his best friend aside, he faced the delivery man with a nervous smile.

"Package for Carlos de Vil," the man said, holding out a small box wrapped in plastic. Since Carlos had already paid for it online, all he had to do was take it from him.

"Thank you."

The man smiled and tipped his hat, and then he was off. Seconds after Carlos had shut the door behind him, he was ripping open the plastic on his way back to the kitchen.

"What's up with you, man?" Jay asked, falling into step next to him. "Last minute present for Jane?"

"No, Meredith and I bought one for her weeks ago already," Carlos answered distractedly. Finally, he managed to remove all the layers of plastic to reveal a maroon, velvet box.

"Then what's — oh, is that what you got as a 'special gift' for Meredith?" Jay said, nudging him teasingly.

"Shhh!" Carlos said, even though nobody else was around. "Yes, it is."

"Why'd you have it sent here?"

"I was worried Meredith might see it if it got shipped to the dorm, but I didn't think it would arrive this early," Carlos admitted, hoping Meredith wouldn't arrive for another couple of minutes.

He carefully opened the box and peeked inside. When he was sure that it was exactly what he asked for, he shut it close again before Jay could see.

"Why can't I see it?" Jay whined, jumping up to sit on the counter. "I don't steal stuff anymore."

"Because I worked hard on this and I don't want anything bad to happen to it."

"I thought you just ordered those stuff online?"

"Technically, yes, but I also had to make my own — you know what, whether I 'just ordered' them or not doesn't matter! I need to keep this gift safe!" Carlos said frantically.

"Okay, okay, chill," Jay said, placing his hands out before him as if to defend himself from his best friend's outbursts. He was slightly startled to see Carlos so riled up over a gift, but he understood that it was because Meredith meant a lot to him.

 He was slightly startled to see Carlos so riled up over a gift, but he understood that it was because Meredith meant a lot to him