Chapter 34

A/N: Long chapter ahead to make up for my 2-month absence 😅 We're finally tackling the Descendants 3 movie from here on out, so I hope y'all enjoy it! Also, who has seen the teasers for the Descendants Royal Wedding? I'm sad that Carlos won't be in it, but I'm still excited to see how it turns out and know that they'll find a way to honor Cameron there :)

The weeks that followed somehow simultaneously felt as if so much and yet no time had passed at all. Perhaps it had to do with the fact that it was loaded with events — everyone had already graduated, Ben dived back into his duties as King with Mal as Lady of the Court, Evie's fashion business kicked off with Doug's help, Jay decided to push through collegiate sports, and Lonnie had left for Northern Wei to pursue R.O.A.R. professionally.

While everyone was busy doing their own things, Meredith and Carlos were happy to be in their blissful little bubble, too. Meredith had been elected as cheer captain for the school year and began mapping out how she'd study for the SATs., while Carlos continued to brush up on his tech skills and started looking up universities that offered veterinary courses. They also got to spend a lot more time with one another while it was still their summer break, and though preparing for senior year wasn't easy, they had to admit that they were at least much more relaxed than their newly-graduated friends who were shoved into the "real world." They spent their days scouting universities, taking care of Dude (who, by the way, could still talk), and even going on more dates. They'd gone to the Mad for Tea Café multiple times after trainings for their respective sports, and Carlos would always get an order of a chocolate chip cookie and a Double Chocolate Frappuccino. They had picnics by the Enchanted Lake, too, and Dude snuck in more than once because he liked exploring the area. They even went horseback riding at the outskirts of South Riding, and unsurprisingly, Meredith was skilled at this, so much that Carlos had joked that she only needed a bow and arrow left to cosplay her own mother.

But there was one common event that kept everyone preoccupied for the same reason: Ben's proposal to Mal. Naturally, the VKs, Meredith, Jane, Doug, Ben's parents, and Fairy Godmother were highly involved in it. Mal had always been so perceptive, so it was a struggle to keep her distracted and not sense that people were keeping secrets from her. Fortunately, she hadn't noticed anything strange thus far, and Meredith guessed that part of it had to do with her schedule as Lady of the Court that kept her preoccupied.

As the date of the proposal drew closer, which so happened to also be VK Day wherein a new batch of villain kids would be brought to Auradon, outfits specifically for the event had to be made. Unsurprisingly, this was where Evie stepped in to do her magic — well, figuratively, at least. Mal didn't seem to find it strange because she assumed that the clothes were just for the VK Day, so it was easy for Evie to work with the hidden intention of making them for the proposal. However, the blue-haired girl was starting to get a little swamped with all of tasks and ended up accidentally having some fabric and accessories sent to the Auradon Prep dorms instead of her new studio. Thankfully, Meredith was in the area after running errands for both her cheerleading team for the incoming school year and for the proposal, so she offered to personally take them to Evie.

 Thankfully, Meredith was in the area after running errands for both her cheerleading team for the incoming school year and for the proposal, so she offered to personally take them to Evie