"Now that you and Aiden are getting engaged.." Her voice fades off as her face flushes.

"You're afraid of what's going to happen to you." I finish her sentence for her.

"Yeah.. I just... Should I start looking for somewhere to go now? I just didn't know how much time I had before I needed to arrange things. To consider my options I guess."

"Do you have other options?" I frown at the worried look on her face.

"No. Not really. That's why I'm still here." She shrugs, "Well that and.."

"You love him."

She nods slowly, avoiding my gaze. Looking almost ashamed of herself.

I reach out, giving her hand a soft squeeze. She doesn't know Carter as anything other then the man who saved her from living on the streets. Who took her in when her own family wouldn't.

She's never talked much about her life growing up. How her own parents treated her isn't something she likes to dwell on.

I do know that she was only fourteen when they kicked her out. Barely a teenager and she was living on the streets of Queens.

Still a child and already fending for herself when no one else would.

Until the day she was arrested and caught Carter's eye.

He gave her everything she never had but always wanted. He fed her, clothed her, gave her a room of her own. And most importantly, he showed her affection.

Something no one had done since the day she was born.

She's never known him as anything other then that.

She had no idea what his business dealings were like.. How corrupt he was.. How hateful and mean he could be. That he very well could of killed his own wife.

She was kept in the dark about everything. And even though she was an adult, she still seemed so young. So innocent.

"You probably think I'm terribly stupid." She sighs.

"No. I understand why you care for him." I smile softly. "And you're afraid of what will become of yourself without him."

"Yeah."

"He's not kicking you out."

"What?" Her eyes widen slightly in shock. "But..."

"But nothing. There's no need for you to worry. Now or later. If someday he doesn't want you here, then I'll help you out."

"Everly..." Her eyes start to water. "Why would you do that? I mean, you should hate me. All of us really. How could you not tell him you wanted us all gone? Any other woman would."

"Cause it doesn't bother me."

"Cause you don't love him." She says quietly, looking at me with sympathy. "We're all kind of... stuck, aren't we? Whether we want to be or not."

I don't respond as she wipes her eyes, sniffling. "He's just taken care of me so much and he's so sweet to me..."

"You don't have to explain yourself." I stop her.

"I hear you and Margo whispering sometimes." She pauses, studying my face. "Is he really that bad? It's just so hard for me to believe. He saved my life."

"I know."

"Am I safe here?" She asks hesitantly, seeming almost afraid of the answer.

I exhale slowly, "Honestly no. But for right now, staying is safer then leaving."