Chapter Forty-Three

I turn over onto my side and stare at the time on my clock - 7:30am. I'd been tossing and turning all night, unable to sleep for any significant amount of time, too busy worrying about what today might bring. Mum, Dad, and the boys had arranged to meet us here at 9.30am, and I hadn't had the guts to talk to Paul yet - I didn't want another confrontation. I lift my phone from my beside table, open a blank message, and start to type.

Morning, Paul. Going to Church with Mum and Dad - they want you there, too. They want to take us for dinner after. Sarah x

I place it back on my bedside table and roll out of bed. I slowly open my bedroom door and listen to see if anyone else is up. There's not a sound, and the bathroom is free, so I go to use it. I'm in there for not even five minutes. Once I've done everything I need to do in there, I just stare at my face in the mirror - I look so tired, I look worn out, I look older. This job clearly takes its toll on a person. I groggily head back to my room and pick out a modest, knee-length dress, and pull a cardigan over it to cover my arms - I absolutely hate my arms. I look at the time again...I've only wasted fifteen minutes. I sit on the end of my bed, swinging my legs as I stare out at the ocean, trying to think of something to pass the time. I check my phone - Paul hasn't texted back. I stand up and march towards his room. I bang on the door to his bedroom.

"Paul! Get up! We're going to Church!" I say, loudly enough for him to hear.

"Are you trying to wake the whole house?!" He yells back.

"Nah! Just you!" I shout, banging the door once more before backing away. I sneak down the hallway to Mike's bedroom door, gently knocking it as I slowly open it.

"Good morning, sleepy head", I sing softly. I open the door wider to reveal Mike standing at his mirror, dressed in a suit, with his suit jacket laying across the bottom of his bed as he fixes his tie. "Oh, you're up...and you're dressed!" I smirk and playfully raise an eyebrow as I close the door behind me.

"I wanted to be on time", he smiles as he continues to fix his tie. I wrap my arms around him from behind and lean my head against his shoulder.

"You're adorable..." I sigh. He spins around so that he's facing me.

"Do I look okay?" He furrows his brow. "Am I too dressed up?"

"You're perfect", I smile as I reach up to kiss him softly. His arms reach around my waist, pulling me closer to him. My arms wrap around his neck and I can feel his smile against my lips.

"You look beautiful, by the way", he whispers against my lips before kissing me again.

Mike and I sit eating breakfast in the kitchen when we're interrupted by Johnny and Jakes coming and standing over us.

"Do we look okay?" Johnny says, doing a little turn.

"Wonderful!" I exclaim as I push another mouthful of cereal into my mouth. "Where are you guys off to dressed like that anyway?" I ask, with my mouth full, as I nod toward the suits they're wearing.

"Church...duh!" Jakes scoffs.

"What?" I gasp in delight.

"We're invited to come with you guys, right?" Johnny asks as he goes over to the cupboard to get himself a bowl.

"Of course you can!" I say, genuinely pleased and surprised that they want to come to Church with me. "This is so nice!"

"Charlie and Paul say they'll be down in a minute", Jakes says as he pours himself some cereal and a glass of orange juice.

"How is he?" I ask in a low tone.

"Too early to tell", Jakes replies.

Mum, Dad and the boys arrived right on time. Paul had come downstairs literally dragging his feet like a child - he's so immature when he's in a bad mood. Neither of us acknowledged one another, so I've the feeling that he's still feeling pretty raw after last night. Mum and Dad had thought ahead and googled Churches in the area and picked one that they liked the sound of. And hey, if I like it there, I might make this my home Church, who knows? Paul, Charlie and Jakes rode with my Mum and Dad, and the boys came with me, Johnny and Mike. And I tell you, the boys were completely fascinated by Johnny and Mike. When we pull up to the Church, Johnny and the boys are quick to climb out of the car. I hang back with Mike for a second.

"Are you really going to tell him?" I ask quietly, in a concerned and anxious tone.

"Yeah...I'm not sure how or when...but I'm going to..." He reaches over and squeezes my hand. "Just leave it to me, and I'll take care of it..."

The ten of us pile into the Church, filing into the rows. Mike makes the brave decision to sit beside Paul - a gesture of goodwill, I suppose. I sit beside Mike, with my parents on the other side of me, and Charlie takes her place beside Paul. Johnny and Jakes sit directly behind Mike and me so that they can lean forward and whisper things to us with my little brothers sat beside them. I look at the group of us sat, taking the scene in. And I admit, I like the way it looks - we look like one big family. Seeing my parents with all their children together, my younger brothers with their new heroes Johnny and Jakes, and Paul and I with our significant others. I'd always imagined what it would be like when Paul and I grew up and found the people we wanted to build our lives with - and while I'm sure that both of us have found the person we're meant to be with, I'd never imagined that it would be like this - with Paul and I at each other's throats all the time, and me having to hide my relationship from him, worrying about how he might react when he finally finds out. It shouldn't be this way. My thoughts are interrupted when the preacher stands up at the front, welcoming everyone, and announcing the first hymn - "Love Divine". The music starts to play, and Johnny starts to panic.

"What do we do? What do we do? What's happening? Uh-oh!" He whispers to me.

"Just stand up when I stand up, okay?" I whisper back, trying not to move my mouth. "Follow my lead!"

"It's been a while since you've been in Church, huh?" Jakes smirks sarcastically. After the pianist plays the introduction, we all stand up to sing, reading the words from the projector screen. Suddenly, Mike stops singing.

"Uhm...Paul..." He whispers, leaning nearer my brother so that he can hear what he's about to say. My heart starts to thump.

"Uh-oh!" Johnny and Jakes say in unison.

"Not now, Mike...please, not now..." I say through gritted teeth, clutching his arm.

"Paul...I..." Mike ignores me.

"We're in Church!" I grit my teeth even harder, my eyes growing wide with panic.

"What is going on? Is everything okay?" Mum whispers loudly as she leans toward us to see what the commotion is.

"Paul..." Mike takes a deep breath. "...I'm in love with your sister...and I have been for a while now...and she feels the same way...and...so...we're together..."