Chapter Twenty-Five

I stay quiet the whole car ride home with Johnny trying to convince me that this really is for the best and that I can successfully do what the boys have volunteered me for. This is just another thing to add to the list of why I'm angry at my brother. It would be different if he had run this by me before he went in to meet Mendoza – but no, he decides to spring it on me through a microphone and ear piece when I'm virtually eavesdropping on what Ricardo believed to be a private conversation. When we get back to Graceland, I thank Johnny before I leave the car for being so kind to me, and then I storm towards the house.

"Sarah!" Paul calls after me, happy as anything, as he climbs out of his car, completely oblivious to how I might be feeling after his announcement. "Sis! Where are you going?"

"No , Paul! Don't even talk to me!" I walk faster towards the house.

"Sarah! Come back! Sarah!" Paul shouts, casually strolling towards the house, speaking to me as if I was some immature child throwing a temper tantrum.

"Sarah!" I hear Mike calling after me, and even then, I don't turn back. In the corner of my eye, I see him try to come after me, but Johnny reaches out an arm in front of him to hold him back. I stay focused, refusing to let Mike be my weakness just now, pushing the front door open and heading upstairs to my room.

"Hey, Sarah! How did it –" Jakes greets me cheerfully as he stands by an open refrigerator surrounded by a mountain of shopping bags. I don't look up and rush towards the staircase. "I went...shopping!" He calls after me as I march up the stairs.

"Good job, Jakes..." I say, a little drained and less impressed than I intended it to be. Johnny, Mike and Paul enter through the front door, but I head straight to my room.

"What's got her?" I hear Jakes ask.

"What did you boys do?" I overhear Charlie ask accusingly.

"Just let her cool off...She'll be alright. I'll talk to her later..." Johnny tries to assure everyone.

"But what happened?" Charlie speaks in hushed, calm tones. No-one responds. "I want an explanation NOW!" She demands, and I slam the bedroom door behind me, blocking out any response that the boys might try to give her.

I don't even bother to change out of my FBI uniform. I fall onto my bed and crawl under the covers as I lay on my side so I can look out of the window that looks out onto the ocean. I lie there for quite some time, trying to straighten the evening's events out in my mind. The more I think about it, the more stupid my being angry sounds. I mean, here I am, angry at my brother for bringing me onto a case – I'm an Agent, it's my job! So why am I so annoyed and infuriated with him? I suppose it's something to do with my darling brother's apparent lack in communicative skills. He has failed to talk to me about every significant change before it happens. There's a soft knock at my door.

"Baby doll, can I come in?" Charlie smiles through the small crack that she's made in the door by opening it. I turn my head to face her, and can't help but smile a little. "I've brought chocolate!" She grins.

"I'd have let you in without the chocolate, Chuck..." I try to laugh as I push myself up so that I'm sitting up in the bed as Charlie closes the door behind her. "...But I won't complain..." I finish. I pat the spot beside me on the bed and lift the duvet so that Charlie can squeeze in beside me.

"Just call me your Fairy Godmother...chocolate is my speciality...as well as cuddles and girl talk", she nods as she tears the chocolate wrapper open as I let out a weak laugh. "Tell me your troubles, girl..." She says, holding out the chocolate to me as she pushes a few squares of it into her mouth.