Chapter Thirty-Eight

Mike smiles at me, and I smile back, trying not to sound like I'm completely surprised and rendered speechless by the news that he's just announced – because we're doing anything but that!

"He did not just say that..." I hear Jakes say through the earpiece. Even though I can't see his face, I can tell his stunned.

"Yup...he did...he's just made a whole lot of trouble for himself..." Johnny replies, sounding equally as stunned. I'm curious, and slightly worried, to find out what Johnny means by that, and the thought of having to wait all night to find out kills me inside.

"Congratulations!" Ricardo exclaims, flinging his arms in the air. He then hands us our drinks. "I propose a toast...to Mr and Mrs Jones: may there be a baby Jones soon!" He clinks his glass with ours as we all fake smile to mask the awkwardness. Deep inside, I can tell that Paul is fuming and ready to swing a punch at Mike for that one. "Angela!" Ricardo shouts across the room to a woman in a red dress, waving her over. She approaches with a huge smile plastered on her face. "This is my wife, Angela. Angela, this is Paul, his sister Sarah, and her husband, Michael", he introduces us as he places an arm around his wife's waist.

"Nice to meet you!" Angela nods, smiling widely and speaking in an accent similar to her husband's.

"Michael and Sarah are trying for a baby!" Ricardo exclaims.

"Oh, how lovely! Congratulations!" Angela beams.

"Darling..." Ricardo turns to her. "Paul, Michael and I have some business to attend to. You look after Sarah until we get back?" My eyes widen in panic – I don't want to be left alone in this strange criminal's house. What if something happens to Mike? I can't leave him alone! Agent Matthews gave me strict instructions to stay with Mike at all times – that's why I'm at Graceland, for crying out loud!

"Of course!" Angela nods again and smiles at me before giving her husband a peck on the cheek.

"Honey..." Mike turns to face me and places his hands on my cheeks so that his hands cup my face. He looks me right in the eyes. "Will you be okay?" He asks quietly.

"I'd rather stay with you..." I whisper back.

"Sarah, you need to let him go..." Johnny says through the earpiece.

"Can't you stay here and let Paul go instead?" I mutter quickly to Mike.

"Let him go, Sarah!" Johnny demands.

"I won't be long, okay?" He places his forehead against mine. "I'll come back for you..." He kisses my lips and I swear Paul's eyes almost fall out of his head. I'm forgetting that he's not seen Mike and I show any kind of affection for one another up until now.

"Ah, young love!" Ricardo sighs in a jokey manner. "I'll take good care of your husband, don't worry", he says, smiling a grin that makes my skin crawl. Mike gives my hand one final squeeze before walking away with Paul and Ricardo. I'm left alone with Angela, but I keep my eyes fixed on Mike until he leaves the room completely. Mike turns back just before he heads out of the door, catching my eye, and mouthing the words, "I love you", and I pray that this won't be the last time that I hear those words, because who knows what Mendoza is capable of.

Thirty minutes later and the boys still haven't returned. I'm sat in a corner surrounded by Angela and her middle-aged gal pals as they grill me with all kinds of personal questions.

"Your husband is very handsome..." one woman sighs loudly.

"I'm very lucky..." I smile bashfully.

"And how long have you been together?" another woman asks.

"Three years", I answer before taking a sip of my drink to moisten my dry throat. I'm on edge, constantly watching the door for Mike and Paul's return.

"They're trying for a baby!" Angela announces to the group, which is greeted by squeals of excitement.

"Will this be your first?" a blonde woman enquires.

"Third", I answer quietly, just regurgitating what Paul and Mike had instructed me to say. So far, so good.

"Third?! You don't look old enough, dear!" an older lady exclaims.

"I bet your husband is a wonderful Father..." the first woman sighs again. I'm not sure how I feel about all these women and their attraction to Mike.

"He is...the children love him..." I answer back, trying to remain gracious and graceful. "I'm just going to go and get another drink..." I smile, rising from my seat to walk over to the bar, hoping that when I return in a few minutes, the prying in Mike and I's supposed personal life will have died down. I ask the bartender for another glass of water and rest my arms on the bar-counter. I feel a pair of arms wrap around my waist from behind, hugging me toward a sweaty body. At first I thought it was Mike, but the sweaty body and the heavy breathing told me otherwise. I start to panic inside, and turn my head slightly to see that my suspicions were right – Mendoza Junior has me in his grasp. I start to writhe around, desperate to free myself from his clutches.

"Are you enjoying yourself, Senorita?" Ricardo whispers into my ear. The feel of his breath on my ear and his hands around my waist make me want to vomit.

"I'd enjoy myself more if you'd let me go..." I answer, trying to move his hands away from me.

"Mike, go to Sarah...now!" Jakes shouts through the earpiece.

"Oh, don't be a spoil sport. I'd treat you real nice..." He hisses. "You know you want me..." He laughs as he pulls himself closer.

"I'm not that kind of girl!" I snarl at him. "What have you done to my husband?!" Tears start to form in my eyes. I pray that Mike will be here soon. This is not what I signed up to.

"You're a real firecracker, you know that? I find that very attractive in a woman..."

"Where are my brother and my husband?!"

"Ricardo, my man!" I hear Mike's voice and turn my head to see him pushing through the crowds to get to us. Ricardo removes his hands from around me, and Mike takes me in his arms. He cups my face in his hands again, stroking a thumb across the top of my cheek to wipe away the small tears that have started to stream from the corners of my eyes. "Are you okay?" I nod, but my eyes let him know that I'm lying. He hugs me to him, and stares Ricardo down. Angela comes rushing over to see what the commotion is. Mike looks straight at Ricardo, demanding answers. "What do you think you're doing to my wife?!"

Graceland: Family AffairOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara