Chapter Twenty

I'm sure we look hilarious, the four of us gathered around this little monitor screen. The nurse had left the room to give us some time alone. Paul sits on the edge of the bed with his arm around Charlie, occasionally kissing her hair, too overcome with emotion for words. Mike sits on the chair with me sat on his lap. I don't mind this, and Paul won't suspect anything – he'll just take it as our solution to packing so many of us into a tiny room.

"So beautiful..." Charlie whispers, staring at the screen.

"Just like their Mama..." Paul rests his head on top of hers.

"You're gonna be a Dad..." I whisper, reaching around Mike's back to squeeze my brother's hand.

"And you're gonna be an Aunt..." Paul squeezes my hand in return.

"And I'm gonna cry again!" I laugh, swatting his hand away and turning back to face the screen. Mike smiles at me, his hand resting on my leg.

"I think he or she is going to be the most-loved baby around..." Mike grins, completely mesmerized by the scan on the screen. I rub his shoulder with my hand and rest my head against his.

"You did good, Chuck..." Paul kisses Charlie's hair. The four of us sit staring at the screen for a little while longer until the nurse returns to the room.

"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that's all the time I can give you. We have another appointment due in here", she says apologetically.

"Oh, no problem", the four of us say in unison. I get up off Mike's lap and he stands up beside me, placing his hand at the bottom of my back.

"But I do have these for you", the nurse hands a couple of scan photographs to Paul.

"Thank you", he smiles at her.

"You're welcome", the nurse smiles back as she wipes the gel from Charlie's stomach. "And you're going to be great parents –" She grins and then turns around to face Mike and I. "And a great Aunt and Uncle –"

"Oh, we're not –" Mike and I start.

"– I can feel it!" She turns back to Paul, carrying on as if neither Mike nor I had tried to say anything. We leave the room and walk back through the corridors of the hospital and out to the parking lot. Charlie and Paul walk hand in hand towards the parked cars. I fish in my pocket for Paul's car keys.

"Paul!" I shout, making him spin around. "Think fast!" I throw the keys at him, and he catches them. "Thought you'd wanna drive your car back to the house – thanks for letting me borrow it!"

"No, thank you for bringing Charlie here!" He replies as he unlocks his car.

"Yeah, thanks Sarah...I really appreciate it", Charlie says giving me a hug.

"You're welcome", I say, hugging her back. "I think I'll ride with Mike, give you and Paul some time to talk", I suggest as we break apart. Paul steps up, slowly folding his arms with a look of suspicion on his face. "And...you know...he can fill me in on the Mendoza stuff..." I add hesitantly, trying to make it sound like I had an actual valid and professional reason to be alone with Mike.

"Hmm..." Paul grunts. "Keep her safe, Mike...none of your reckless driving...and make sure you wear your seatbelt!" He instructs.

"Gosh, Paul..." I roll my eyes. "I'm not twelve..." I say under my breath. If he knew what was really going on with me and Mike, I'm sure the seatbelt would be the least of my brother's worries.

We climb into Mike's car and let Paul and Charlie drive out of the car park first, giving ourselves a moment of privacy. With the doors shut, and it being just the two of us, we don't have to watch what we say or how we act.

"Wow...first time in your car...important milestone in our relationship", I smirk.

"Well, I don't let just anyone in my car!" He jokes.

"I feel honoured..." I lean towards him.

"I think we should mark the occasion..." He moves his head nearer to mine. He places a tender kiss on my lips. "I've been waiting to do that..." He blushes.

"Somehow I don't think Paul would have been impressed..." I grin. "Which reminds me –" I lean back and turn away from Mike so I can strap in my seatbelt. "So..." I sigh.

"So?" He asks, still turned towards me.

"Tell me all about Mendoza!"

"...Wow..." He says sarcastically. "Way to ruin a moment! You're so romantic!"

"I'm sorry, Mikey", I say, planting another quick kiss on his lips before he turns the car engine on and we start to drive. I sit in the passenger seat, staring forward as I watch the streets of California go by. I catch Mike glancing at me every so often as he drives. "What?" I ask, smiling.

"We need you to come with us tomorrow..." Mike announces as we drive along.

"Wow..." I say sarcastically. "Now who's ruining the moment?" I raise my eyebrow.

"I'm sorry, baby", he cringes, reaching a hand over and resting it on my knee.

"It's fine..." I shake my head, linking my arm with his free one and placing my hands around his hand. "Now...you said 'we need you to come' – who's 'we'?" I raise an eyebrow again, turning to look at him.

"Briggs and me –"

"Did Paul put you up to this?" I joke.

"No", he laughs as he shakes his head.

"Seriously though, who's asking – you or Paul?" I say, cutting to the chase. "Because your answer to that question might change my answer to yours –"

"Sarah..." Mike says, trying to sound stern. "I'm asking..."

"Ugh...fine!" I sigh, leaning my head back against the headrest.

"Wait...why would it change your answer? What's up with Briggs?"

"Oh, you know..." I shrug as I look down at our hands. "Just sibling stuff, I guess... I'm still a little annoyed at him..."

"Sarah –" Mike starts, but I stop him.

"Mike – just let me have my moment, please. It's just sibling stuff...it's natural...you know the kind. Just let me be annoyed with him for a little while longer..."

"Okay, baby..." He smiles, rubbing my leg.

"So...tomorrow..." I take a deep breath. "What do you need me to do?"

"Intel. We just need someone to listen in, someone to be there...and to be honest, I'd feel a whole lot better knowing it's you that's there..." He squeezes my hand, turning his head to give me a little glance – one where his face seems to shrink a little as if he's nervous about what my reply might be, or as if he fears that he's finally overstepped the line.

"Well...technically, we're a team now...in every sense of the word...so it makes sense..." I nod. "You're lucky I like you, Warren!" I smirk.