Chapter Twenty-Nine

"How about we sit out by the campfire tonight? I think we could all use some chill time!" Charlie suggests as we all start to disperse from the hug. This is greeted with sounds of approval from everyone else. "Okay...well...I'll go get some snacks, Johnny get the drinks, Dale sort the blankets, and Paul can go and start the fire..." She intrusts, quickly ushering the boys out of the room.

"What do you want us to do?" Mike asks her as she leaves the room.

"Talk...I'm buying you guys some time here!" She whispers as she closes the door tightly before Mike has a chance to answer her. He spins around on his heels to face me as he points at the now closed door, his mouth open in stunned thought. I pull on my sleeves, playing with the material. Why am I so nervous?

"Does she –?" He asks, his forehead wrinkling a little in thought and confusion.

"Yeah..." I answer, half smiling a little as I nervously pull on my sleeve. "But don't worry, I didn't tell her...she guessed it..."

"Does Paul know?" Mike's eyes grow wide in alarm.

"...You're not scared of my big brother, are you?" I gasp jokingly.

"No...but...I might be...a little..." He looks down to the floor, flashing that little embarrassed smile that he does, running one hand through his hair and putting his other hand into his pocket as he laughs lightly.

"It's okay...Paul doesn't know...Johnny and Jakes do...but they've all promised they're not going to say anything..." I assure him.

"So basically we're the Chandler and Monica of Graceland –" He laughs shyly.

"Which makes Paul the Ross of Graceland", I laugh along, finishing his sentence.

"Hey! You got my Friends reference!" He exclaims in satisfaction. "No-one ever does..." He trails off, looking to the floor again nervously, shifting his weight from one foot to another, both hands in his pockets now. I still stand with my back to my window, playing with my sleeves and pulling at my clothes, the two of us standing around five feet apart. There's a nervous silence, a palpable tension in the room. It's clear that neither of us know where we stand with one another after the hurt and upset of today. Mike decides to be the first one to break the awkward silence.

"Sarah..." He lifts his head up, his hand in his hair again – like I said, I nervous trait of his, and one that I find endearing.

"Yeah?" I snap my head up to look at him across the room, sound a little too eager to hear what he's going to say. He takes a deep breath.

"...I'm...I'm really..." He takes a step towards me. "...really sorry –" I cut off the end of his sentence by rushing into him, almost knocking the wind out of him, laying my head on his chest and wrapping my arms around him.

"It's okay –" I start to say, and we end up talking over one another.

"I feel terrible –" He continues.

"It wasn't your fault –"

"I should have stopped it –"

"It's over –"

"I have to protect you –"

"It's fine –"

"I love you..." The words just slip out of his mouth just as I finish talking.

"...What did you just say?" I whisper, a small smile starting to creep across my face. He starts to go red.

"I...uh...I said...I said I was sorry..." He stumbles over his words, his voice trembling a little, his hands shaking.

"...Me too..." I say softly as he cups my face with his hand and kisses me.

We join the rest of the gang on the beach, with the fire burning brightly. Mike and I agree not to sit next to one another – after what happened the last time with Paul and the phone call from my Mum. Plus, we don't want Paul to suspect anything. Tonight, we're playing it cool. Instead, I sit between Johnny and Jakes, with Mike sat opposite me.

"So...what do I need to know for tomorrow?" I say, taking a sip of my drink as I direct my question to Paul. "I mean, judging by your track record, if I don't ask now, I'll never find out...and I'm not really up for a round a "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" improv game in front of Mendoza tomorrow..." I snort laughing at myself.

"Well, you'll be playing my sister Sarah –" He explains.

"Oh...I don't know if I know how –" I jest.

"Yeah, a whole new challenge for you –" He jokes back.

"I don't think twenty-four years is long enough rehearsal time", I say sarcastically.

"And you'll be married to Mike!" He takes a sip of his drink. Mike subtly winks at me across the campfire.

"You'll find that hard..." Johnny says under his breath, only loud enough for me to hear. "But I'd say you're pretty well-rehearsed..." I elbow him in the side to shut him up.

"So we'll need to sit down tomorrow morning, the three of us, and work out our story. We need to think about things like how you two met, family members, occupations, that kind of thing", he instructs.

"You got it!" I nod.

"And Mike...you be careful with my sister...I'll be there the whole time...watching. So, you know, mind yourself!" He warns Mike.

"I...uh..." He coughs to stifle the smirk that's forming on his face when he catches my eye, trying to compose himself. "...I wouldn't dream of it..."

"Good! I'm just thankful it's not real life –" Paul starts. I nearly spit my drink out, and Mike nearly chokes on his. "I mean, can you imagine if you two were really together? How crazy would that be?" He laughs.

"Oh...just the craziest!" I answer, a hint of sarcasm in my voice as I lift my drink bottle to my mouth.

"Michael, you and I would be having a seriously serious talk. I mean, Mum would be thrilled about the whole thing...you see, we kind of worry that Sarah will never marry –" he announces in a loud whisper.

"Paul..." I try to interrupt to stop him from talking.

"There was really only ever one guy who wanted her...but that one backfired, didn't it, Sarah?"

"Paul..." I try again, but he just ignores me. "You're drunk...Paul!"

"We all thought he was 'the One'...we thought there'd be wedding bells...he proposed and everything...but NO...no wedding bells!"

"Paul...stop!" I shout. "Please..." I say a little quieter.

"Don't be embarrassed about your past, Sarah...be open about it...don't keep it locked inside. Let it out!" I stand up from my spot and start walking back towards the house. We lasted not even an hour of complete peace between us. He stands up and starts to shout after me from his spot. "What is it we always say? "There are NO secrets in Graceland!" So come on! Share with the class!" I don't turn back to face him, and I carry on walking to the house, wiping the tears that have started to form in my eyes with the sleeve of my jacket. "Don't worry, Sarah! There's got to be someone that loves you! Go on, tell her, Mike...tell her! Tell her someone loves her!" He carries on shouting from the campfire, but I just shut the glass door behind me, blocking out the noise of my drunk brother who's showing himself up in front of everyone, as I keep trying to remind myself that he's embarrassing himself more than he's embarrassing me. But, still, I can't help but feel humiliated and hurt...and I can't begin to imagine what must be running through Mike's head right now after hearing all of that. My thoughts flit back to the promise we made to each other in The Drop..."no lies"...but I've not been completely honest with Mike...and now I know that the truth is going to have to come out, one way or another.