Chapter Thirty-Seven

Paul pulls up to the venue for Mendoza's dinner party.

"Is this his house?" My mouth falls open at the grandeur of it.

"I don't think so...Mendoza would never put his home address on a business card...this will be some kind of 'staging area'...if you get what I mean? Which is why tonight needs to go well so that we're one step closer to getting inside the Mendoza base..." Paul states.

"Gotcha..." I say quietly as I nod, my leg tapping up and down again like it usually does when I'm nervous. Mike silently reaches over and places his hand on my knee, steadying my twitching leg.

"You two lovebirds ready to do this?" Paul turns back to face us. Neither of us answer, a little worried that he knows the truth. "Come on guys, I know it's awkward to have to act this way with one another when you've known the other person so well so for so long, but it's part of the job. So just...get over it, suck it up, and do it. You're taking on for the team!" He's getting all fired up with passion for the job in his little pep talk. "So you gotta make it convincing...just throw away all your inhibitions and just go for it...but not too much...because you know you're my sister, and you're Mike, and that'd be weird...but..." He stops himself in this little debate that he's having with himself. "No...scratch that...what I mean is, just...forget about the awkwardness...you're married...let's just do this..." He takes a deep breath.

"Can you hear us?" Johnny asks through the earpiece, followed by a chorus of yeses from the three of us.

"And don't worry, Sparky...you'll be just fine – we're right here..." Jakes says reassuringly.

"Thanks..." I half-smile.

"Heck, after that award-winning performance earlier, the woman deserves an Oscar!" Johnny jokes, referring to the way I'd acted towards Paul in order to get an apology. "She's got this in the bag..."

"Okay, enough about that...we have some work to do...you ready?" Paul interrupts.

"Go team!" And with that he climbs out of the car.

"Please tell me that he doesn't always start every mission of his with 'Go team!'" I cringe. I look at Mike's face that does nothing but confirm my suspicions. "Oh my goodness, he does..." I say, with a look of horror on my face. I let out a little laugh and then lean my head back against the headrest, closing my eyes for a second.

"Sarah..." Mike whispers. "What are you doing? Don't be getting to comfortable, because we have to move...like now..."

"Just give me a minute..." I answer, opening one eye to look at him and then closing it again. "I'm praying..." I go quiet again, praying earnestly in my head as I hold Mike's hand. After another minute or so, I open my eyes again and take a deep breath as I squeeze Mike's hand. "Let's go..."

I stand between Mike and Paul as we wait on the doorstep. Paul reaches forward to ring the doorbell as he takes a look at Mike and I.

"You could at least try to look like a couple...just...hold hands or something..." He mutters awkwardly. Mike reaches over and takes my hand in his, standing closer to me than before. My heart does a little flutter.

"Happy now?" I say sarcastically to Paul.

The door opens to reveal a maid, who curtsies.

"We're here for the Mendoza function?" Paul asks politely.

"Yes, right this way..." Paul steps through first, and Mike beckons for me to go ahead of him as he moves his hand from my hand, placing his own at the bottom of my back, keeping his arm securely around me. "May I take your jackets?" The maid asks. "We're fine, thank you", Paul smiles at her as she leads us down a long corridor and into a large study where people have already started to gather. I feel a little undressed, and start to feel like I'm very inadequate compared to the women that fill this room, each looking like something taken straight from the pages of a magazine. "You look beautiful..." Mike leans his head toward mine and whispers in my ear before placing a light kiss on my cheek, clearly reading my insecure thoughts. Mike protectively tightens his arm around me.

"Ah! Mr Harrison! Mr Jones!" Mendoza Junior manoeuvres his way through the crowds to get to us, offering an outstretched hand to Paul. He shakes Paul's hand, and then shakes Mike's.

"Good to see you again, Mr Mendoza", Paul says warmly.

"Let me introduce you to my wife, Sarah", Mike smiles lovingly at me. Hearing introduce me as his wife sends a tingle down my spine, and part of me wishes that this wasn't just some charade for the benefit of a mission – part of me wishes this marriage were real.

"Ah! Paul's sister, yes?" He asks, his Mexican accent sounding even stronger in person. He reaches for my hand and goes to kiss it.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Mr. Mendoza", I try to smile sweetly.

"You can call me Ricarrrrrdo..." He whispers with a sly smile, relishing in the super long rolling 'r' sound that he adds to his name. I try not to look at him with disgust, so smile a weak smile. Again, I feel Mike's grip tightening on me, reminding me that he's right here.

"I have some people that I want to introduce you to", Ricardo announces.

"I hope your Father is one of them", Paul laughs, but we all know that there's nothing funny about this – Paul is deadly serious.

"That will happen in time. Come, let me get you drinks", he places a hand on Paul's shoulder. We walk across the room to the bar, Mike staying glued to my side. "What can I get for you? Mrs Jones?" He looks at me.

"Oh...I'll just have a water, please..." I answer shyly.

"Make that two waters", Mike adds.

"Water?!" Ricardo asks, horrified. "You don't want something stronger?!" He laughs.

"Not for us, thank you..." Mike smiles through gritted teeth as he lovingly rubs a hand on my back.

"But why?!" Ricardo moans loudly, like a whinging child. It's clear that he's already had too much to drink. "No fun..." He pouts. Mike and I try to think of a quick reply with an excuse that will pacify him.

"...Uh...we can't...because..." I start, looking to Mike to see if I can find the end of my answer in his eyes.

"...Because..." He picks up the sentence as he looks back at me, and then a besotted and smitten smile forms on his lips. "...Because we're trying again..."

"What?" Paul asks quickly and in an unimpressed tone.

"...Trying for baby number three..."