Chapter Twelve

Mike moves his head back, leaving his hand cupping my face. He smiles as he looks at me with a look of relief and perhaps a little apprehension at what my reaction is going to be. I'm left completely breathless, taken my surprise at the last few seconds.

"That was what I wanted to say...and that is how our dance that night should have ended...I just didn't have the guts..." He blushes, smiling a little half-smile as if he's nervous. But why should he be nervous - I'm the one that should be nervous...Michael Warren - the Quantico Poster Boy - just kissed me. And goodness me - can you imagine if he had gone through with this at Quantico? I'm not sure I would have made it out alive if word had gotten through to his little group of adoring fans. He looks at me, awaiting a reply of some sort from myself, but I'm rendered speechless. "...Say something...please?"

"Uhm...well..." I try to think of something to say, but I'm struggling to form any kind of word in my head just now, never mind a sentence. "...I don't know what to say..." He lets go of me, takes a step back, and places his hands on his hips and stares at the ground.

"You're mad at me, aren't you?" He groans in annoyance at himself.

"No...I'm not..." I let out a little smile as I replay the last minute or so in my head, not quite believing that this has just happened.

"You're not?" He lifts his head a little to look at me, his mood perking up.

"No...I'm not...but..." I start.

"Uh-oh...buts are never good..." He takes a step towards me again. I roll my eyes.

"Let me finish!" I put a hand on his shoulder. "What does this mean?" I look up at him expectantly, and he takes a deep breath.

"Well..." He places his hands around my waist. "This is long overdue...This means that I've had feelings for you for a long time...and even after I left Quantico, I never forgot you...I just thought I was never going to see you again, and so I gave up hope. I regretted not telling you before. And...now I feel like I've been given another chance...I didn't want to let you slip through my fingers again. I lost you once, Sarah...I don't want to lose you again..."

"I see..." I say quietly, taking it all in. There's a moment of quiet. He removes his hands from my waist.

"So...now I don't know whether I've put myself out there and made a complete fool of myself..." He says bashfully, squinting a little before looking down at his feet as he runs a hand through his hair, embarrassed. I touch his cheek with my hand, lifting his face to look at me, quickly leaving a small kiss on his lips.

"Does that answer your question?" I smirk. Mike stands there smiling like an idiot.

"Is that a yes? Are we going to, you know, try this? Give "us" a go?" He says, flicking his hand between the two of us when he says 'us', and I like the way that sounds. I nod, not able to wipe the stupid smile off my face. "So, your Mum was right then...you were sweet on me?" He raises an eyebrow, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me closer. Something about this just feels right. He slowly moves his head towards me.

"Nu-uh", I say softly, leaning in towards him. He kisses me again, a little longer this time as his embrace tightens, and the waves peacefully sweep up and down the sand.

I open my eyes, awaking from my slumber the morning after the night before. My first night's sleep at Graceland had been a great one, and I'd gotten a well-needed sleep after all the excitement of yesterday. Mike had been the perfect gentleman and walked me back to my room, said goodnight, and then headed to his own room. We had agreed that, for now, we would try to keep our new relationship a secret - not because we're embarrassed or because we really want to hide it from everyone - but we want to test the waters first. I mean, what if something happened and it didn't work out...it'd be ten times more awkward if everyone new. So, we'll wait it out. Plus, I'm pretty sure Paul would go berserk if he found out. I head to the bathroom and get ready before going downstairs. Charlie is already down there starting to make breakfast for everyone.

"Good morning, Charlie!" I greet her with a hug. "You need a hand?"

"Sure thing!" She answers, sounding a little surprised that anyone is offering to help. I get the feeling that in a house of boys, she doesn't get a lot of help around here, and any help she does get it forced upon them by her fiery nature. We chat as we make breakfast, and Charlie tells me all that's been going on with her since I was last here.

"How have you been feeling lately? You know, with the pregnancy and all?" I ask.

"So far so good. The boys have all been really great about it. Paul tries his best...but he gets distracted quite easily. He has a lot on his plate -"

"That's no excuse though! You're carrying his kid - he better pay attention to you! I'll make sure he does!" I laugh.

"Well, you being here seems to have already made a difference...and not just to Paul..." She smiles.

"In a good way, I hope?" I smirk.

"Of course! I think Paul will be more focused with you here...he won't want to mess up in front of you. And Johnny is happy to have his friend back...and so is Mike. Mike has definitely been a lot happier since you got here..."

"Really?" I blush a little, smiling to myself.

"Oh definitely! Mike has had a bit of a rough time...the last month has been really tough for us as a team...and Mike suffered the worst of it. It took him a while to heal physically...I mean, when you almost die...it's kind of a big deal. And then with Paige leaving as well...he took that loss really hard...but he's a fighter, that's for sure!" She hardly looks up as she works with the food in the kitchen.

"I see..." I say, trying to sound like I know what she's talking about...but alarm bells are ringing in my head, and the room is spinning a little. I grip the surface, trying to act like I'm okay. But I'm not...I'm far from okay. What is she talking about? She obviously doesn't realise that I don't know any of this...she thinks Paul told me. I mean, Mike almost dying, and Paige leaving...I don't understand. Why hasn't Mike or Paul told me any of this? It's a pretty big thing to forget. "Would you excuse me for a minute?" I say, turning my back and to Charlie and heading for the stairs.

"Are you okay, sweetie?" Charlie calls after me.

"Yeah...I'm fine..." I weakly wave a hand in the air, trying to sound as convincing as I can in my tone of voice. I march up the stairs and burst open the door to Johnny's room, quickly shutting the door behind me. The slam of the door wakes Johnny up, who is sprawled out on his bed.

"Don't you knock?!" He groans, sleepily wiping his eyes as he sits up in the bed.

"You said that any questions I needed answered, that I should come to you...right?" I say, seriously and quickly.

"What? Right now, this minute? Are you crazy?" He says moans, throwing a pillow at me as he shields his eyes from the sunlight streaming through his window. I'm not in the mood for his games just now, and catch the pillow with one hand.

"You promised, Johnny! Tell me what you know about Paige leaving -"

"Fine -" He says, pushing himself up in the bed so he can sit.

"And about Mike's brush with death?" I demand.