Chapter Six

"So they have decided to make an appearance!" Jakes bellows from the dining table with Johnny and Paul beside him.

            "For a second, we wondered if you'd decided to take your little love-fest reunion elsewhere", Johnny smirks, sending a wink our way.

            "J.T! Dude! She's my sister..." Paul jumps in to shut him up. "Don't talk about her that way!" He says getting awfully protective. "And anyway, I'd like to think my little sister could do a lot better than Levi!" He adds, with Johnny and Jakes shouting "Ooooh burn!" in unison. Charlie gets up from the table and comes towards us as we step towards the kitchen island that is covered with a delicious looking spread of food.

            "Just ignore them!" Charlie says, turning back to give them a reprimanding look – like I said, she's Mother hen material. "I thought I'd cook a special dinner tonight for your homecoming!" She smiles and me, giving my arm a stroke. I'm so glad Charlie is here, and I have a feeling we'll become close with us being the only girls in the house. And the way she called it my 'homecoming' – that was a really nice thing to call it, and it really made me feel like I was welcome here – as if I belonged.

            "Awww thank you, Charlie!" I really am touched by her kind gesture. "It looks and smells amazing!"

            "Oh you're welcome, honey! So, plates are there", she says pointing to the end of the kitchen island. "Just go on ahead and take as much as you want, okay?" I nod and she turns back to retake her seat at the table and re-join the guys' inaudible conversation – to me it just sounds like one loud noise.

            "So...Levi, huh?" I laugh quietly to Mike as we load up our plates.

            "Nickname...I'll explain later..." He smirks, his cheeks turning a little red.

            "I'll hold you to that", I murmur in his ear before we approach the table to take our seats at the table.

Charlie and Paul sit at either end of the table, sort of like the 'heads' of the table – which I guess makes sense, as I get the feeling that they're the Mama and Papa Bear of this house. Johnny sits facing me and in between Paul and Jakes. I sit at the other side of Paul – I kind of had no choice as he made a point of tapping the space beside him, telling me to sit there – and Mike takes the empty seat beside me. Paul lifts his glass. I start to cringe on the inside at the thought of what he's about to do. I try to send him mental warnings, hoping that our sibling telepathy will decide to kick in now. But sadly, it doesn't.

            "I'd like to propose a toast –" He starts after clearing his throat.

            "I'm not getting married, Paul", I mumble, staring at my plate.

            "Yet!" Johnny answers back, laughing at himself as Jakes gives him a high-five.

            "– to my little sister!" Paul continues as if no-one else has spoken – he is well and truly in a world of his own.

            "We get it Paul, I'm your sister, you don't have to keep saying it", I say under my breath. Paul doesn't hear, but Mike does, and he tries to hold in his laughter as he shoots me a little side glance.

            "Welcome to the family!" Paul finishes, believing that his speech has been uninterrupted. 

            "I've been in your family for twenty-four years", I say sarcastically.

            "I've been in denial for twenty-four years", he answers just as sarcastically. "To Sarah!" He announces, and everyone repeats it and raises their glasses. And while I can see that this is a touching gesture, I am a little weirded out. It's just so formal. I remember the last time anything like this happened – it was my graduation dinner with Mum and Dad. Dad stood up in the middle of the restaurant and toasted my graduation. I was embarrassed, but he was so proud – unashamedly proud. A sudden pang of heartache floods over me as I start to miss my family back home. I look at the smiling, welcoming faces around the table – this is my new family.

            "Well...thanks", I say awkwardly. "That wasn't uncomfortable at all..."

I lean back in my chair, pushing my plate away from me.

            "That was amazing, Charlie! Thank you!" I say, feeling well and truly stuffed after eating a wonderful meal.

            "You're welcome, sweetie", she smiles.

            "And you know the best part?!" Johnny asks me, wide-eyed. I shake my head. "The chore wheel says you're on dishes tonight!" He laughs.

            "No it doesn't, Johnny! She's just arrived! You know what, you've just landed yourself on dishes duty for that", she points at Johnny. Johnny groans as Jakes sits and mocks him. "Jakes you can help him!" Jakes immediately stops laughing.

            "Charlie! You're just full of it because now you're got a gal pal in the house", Johnny moans, rolling his eyes.

            "Well, she's a pretty great gal pal..." Mike says, giving me a little look that makes me look away shyly. Thankfully, I don't think the other guys saw it. Johnny and Jakes are too busy nursing their bruised egos now that they have to do tonight's dishes.

            "You're dead right I'm glad to have another girl in the house!" Charlie winks at me. "You know, girl power and all that!" She smiles. "Now...get your dishes done, boys. I'm going for a lie down". And with that, she turns around and heads up stairs.

            "So...uh...you wanna go for a walk along the beach and talk a while?" Mike leans over, asking me in an almost-whisper.

            "I'd love to..." I say just as quietly. We both get up from the table and head upstairs so I can grab my shoes. But Paul bumps into us on our way there. Mike heads into his room, which is just across the hall from mine, to grab his own shoes.

            "Where are you kids off to?" Paul asks, following me into my room.

            "A walk on the beach...why?" I answer as I bend down to pick my shoes off the floor.

            "Mike!" Paul shouts through the open doors. "Do you mind if I steal my sister away from you for a little while?" Mike appears in the doorway.

            "Uh...sure, I guess. If that's okay with her?" Mike says looking at me. "We can go for our walk later?" He suggests, giving me a look to tell me that it's okay for me to go with Paul – he won't be offended.

            "Okay...sure..." I exhale, nodding my head a little.

            "Thanks", Paul breathes deeply. "I just...I feel like I have a bit of explaining to do..."