Chapter Thirty

It doesn't take me long to decide. I have had enough. I'll stay in a motel overnight and get the first flight back to my hometown tomorrow and go back to my parents' house. I am done here. I run up the stairs and drag out on of my holdalls, throwing in a few items of clothing and some essentials. I don't need to take a whole lot of things with me. I just need enough to get me home and last me a couple of days, and then I can just send for the rest of my things. As I zip up my bag, I hear Mike's voice calling me downstairs, which makes me rush even more. I don't want to see Mike, not now. Because I know that if I take one look at Mike, then I won't be able to leave. I sling my bag over my shoulder and put my phone in my pocket. I head for the stairs, hoping to sneak down them and out of the front door without Mike seeing. But as I get nearer the top of the stairs, I hear footsteps coming up, and Mike's voice getting louder.

"Sarah?" He shouts. I go into Johnny's room and hide behind the door. I hear Mike's footsteps as he walks by Johnny's room and towards mine. "Sarah?" He says again. I slip out of Johnny's room and run down the stairs while Mike is searching for me in my room. Mike hears me running and rushes out of my room and sees me on the stairs. "Sarah!" He shouts before coming after me. I race towards the door, stealing Paul's car keys from the coffee table as I go by – the least Paul can do now is let me borrow his car, it's not like he'll be needing it with the drunk state that he's in. I fling open the front door as Mike stops to grab his own car keys and a jacket. I run out to Paul's car, not looking back, and climb in the driver's seat as I fling my bag into the passenger seat. Tears start streaming down my face and I start the engine, and speed off out of the driveway and down the street. I turn the radio on, and the Rascal Flatts song "She's Leaving" starts the blare out through the speakers – appropriate! – which just spurs me on all the more, getting my adrenaline going. I keep driving, unsure of where exactly I'm going, with Mike following closely behind me in his car. I just know I need to get away from here...away from my brother...and away from my past.

I take my phone from my pocket as I drive and call my parents' house.

"Hello?" My younger brother Jackson answers the phone.

"Jackson...its Sarah..." I try to sound happy and hold in my sobbing as my tears continue to flow. "Can I speak to Mum or Dad, please?" I glance in the rear view mirror and Mike is still right behind me.

"Dad!" I hear Jackson shout. "He's just coming...I miss you, Sarah..."

"I miss you, too..." The flood gates open and I start crying freely. I just want to be at home with my family.

"Sarah? Is everything okay?" Dad's voice asks urgently on the other end of the phone.

"Daddy...I want to come home...I need to come home..." I sniff.

"Sarah, honey, what's happened?" He starts to sound protective and worried.

"I just...I can't do this anymore, Dad..." I cry, trying to stop the tears so that I can where I'm driving. "I'm driving to a motel and I'm going to look at some flights...I just need to get out..."

"Are you going to be okay?" He pauses. "Sarah, when you get to a motel, you just stay there. We'll come to you. You don't sound like you're in a fit state to travel..."

"Dad, I'm fine –" I try to lie, but I can't even convince myself, never mind my Father.

"Listen to me, Sarah..." He says, not in a completely stern tone, but enough to remind me that he's my Father and that I'm the child. "When you get to where you're staying tonight, text us the address...we're coming to you...and whatever has got you feeling this way...we'll sort it out..."

"I love you, Daddy..."

After over half an hour of driving, with Mike following close behind, and no idea of where I'm going, I finally see a brightly light motel sign in the distance. And even though I know that I can't avoid Mike as soon as I pull into the motel parking lot, I'm tired of running...I just want to sleep. I park the car and turn of the engine, reaching over to the passenger seat to take my holdall. Mike parks his car beside mine. I take a deep breath, closing my eyes and leaning my head back against the headrest, trying to calm myself before I see Mike. I don't want to take my anger out on Mike. I look down and open my car door, but Mike is there already and he takes my hand and helps me out. There's silence as we both stand there in the parking lot.

"Mike..." I say quietly. He deserves some kind of apology after what happened tonight. "...I'm really sorry..."

"Why did you run?" He takes my hand and looks right into my eyes, trying to understand.

"...I was...embarrassed...and...I was hurt..." I answer, trying to find the right words. "Why did you come after me?"

"To show you that someone loves you..." And with that, he pushes his lips against mine and pulls me to him, putting everything into that kiss – the most emotional, passionate and deep kiss that we've shared yet – a 'real' kiss. We break apart and he rests his forehead against my forehead. "When you walked out that door, I was scared I was going to lose you again...because...I love you, Sarah Parker..."