Chapter Eighteen

"Mikey, Mikey, Mikey!" Paul runs towards us, almost pouncing on Mike as we walk through the front door, returning from our little trip. "Early night tonight, please. You and I are up bright and early...just got word...the meeting is set up...we're in!"

"Really?" Mike asks in surprised disbelief, eyes open in wide-eyed wonder. "Good job, man!" He says, clasping my brother's hand as they pat each other on the back.

"What is it for?" I'm confused, and perhaps slightly worried. "Do I need to go? You know, this whole partner thing?" I'm secretly hoping Paul will be expecting me to join them. I don't feel right about Mike going without me if my own assignment is to keep a close eye on Mike.

"We've been waiting for a way in for a long time...very similar case to the Solanos. And we finally have it! And, you don't need to come, Sis...I think we'll be okay just the two of us –"

"Woah...flashbacks to childhood", I joke. "But seriously, I –" I start to protest.

"– And it will be good to bring you in at a later date. We gotta save our greatest assets, right? I don't wanna play a stellar move prematurely..."

"Yeah, yeah...whatever..." I say, shrugging off his attempted compliments, disregarding my brother's sweet-talk.

"So...rest up! Big day tomorrow!" Paul proclaims, slapping Mike on the back.

"What's tomorrow?" Charlie asks as she walks in on the conversation.

"Mike and I have a meeting with Mendoza Junior himself tomorrow – the Carlito Solano of the Mendoza brood –" Paul claps his hands as he grins, pleased with himself. I still have no idea what he's talking about. Mendoza who? Who are the Mendozas?

"Tomorrow when?" Charlie asks sternly, putting a hand on her hip.

"Tomorrow morning –" And then it dawns on Paul. "Oh...Charlie...I'm so sorry –" He rushes over to her.

"You better be!" She turns her back to him and starts to walk away.

"I totally forgot!" He exclaims, holding his hands up in defence. "Is there any way we can reschedule the appointment?" Charlie angrily whacks his arm. 

"He is gonna get his butt kicked..." Mike whispers to me, making me smirk.

"If the scan was a few weeks away, then maybe I could! But it's tomorrow! Gosh, Paul! You had one job! Just one – to take me to my scan...and you 'forgot'...wonderful!" She says in frustrated sarcasm.

"Charlie, I –" Paul starts, and I cautiously step toward them to re-assert my presence, and perhaps help dig my brother out of the hole he's getting himself into.

"Uhm..." I raise a hand slightly. "...I could go with you?" Charlie and Paul both turn to look at me, remembering that Mike and I have just witnessed their entire exchange. "I mean...if Paul definitely can't go...and I wouldn't want you to go alone..." I'm not really sure about what to say or how to say it, but manage to stumble along. "...but...if you'd rather I didn't...that's fine too...whatever you want, Charlie. No pressure either way..." I wish I would just shut up – I'm suffering from a case of verbal diarrhoea here, and am mentally face-palming myself. I should have just kept quiet and not said anything.

"Would you? I mean, are you sure?" Charlie asks, softening a little. "...Because...I would love that...It would mean a lot to me..." She places a hand on her chest, as if she's almost touched by my offer.

"Of course I'm sure! Like I said, I'm here if you need me..." I smile.

"Thank you..." She lightly steps over to give me a quick hug. "How you and Paul are related, I'll never know...clearly kindness and compassion missed him out and went straight on to you –" She jokes.

"Now that's not fair!" Paul moans. "And anyway, Sarah will be better with all that scanny, hopsitaly, baby stuff then I'll be..."

"Nice save!" I nod at him, sarcastically. Charlie walks away, and Paul walks over to my side.

"Thank you..." He whispers. "That'll mean a lot to Charlie...and it'll be a chance for you two to spend some time together...get to know one another better –"

"What? Bonding by looking at what's in her uterus? Yeah, great fun!" I roll my eyes jokingly.

Paul lets me borrow his car again to take Charlie for her scan. Mike and Paul left before we did, and I'm worried about them. I don't know why, I just don't have a good feeling about their meeting at all. I silently pray that everything will be okay and that the two of them will be protected. And I also pray for Charlie and the baby inside her, that they'll be safe too. Mike had come into my room that morning to say a quick 'Good Morning' and 'Goodbye' all in one go, leaving me with a quick hug and a kiss away from the prying eyes of everyone else. I was still pretty sure that we were being pretty good at hiding it from people, which, at this stage, is a relief. Charlie and I make small-talk on our way there, talking about everything from California, to music, and food. She tells me about her special sauce ritual, and I know that I can't wait to try it. And then the conversation takes an unexpected turn.

"You know, Paul's really happy that you're here...we both are", she smiles.

"Aww, really?" I bashfully grin back as I drive.

"And I'm so grateful to you for coming with me today!"

"Oh, no problem! I'm happy to fill my brother's shoes on this occasion!" I laugh.

"I'm glad he's going with Mike though. They need each other. You know what I mean? Especially with all that's happened, and as Mike eases back into work. He finished his meds about a month ago, and it's been a tough time for Mike...It's been great to see him so happy again..."

"What do you mean?" I ask, a little confused as to where she's going with this.

"You mean you haven't noticed?" She smirks.

"Noticed what?" I'm starting to get a little worried.

"Since you arrived, he's been extremely...happy...strangely happy...deliriously happy. It's been so long since I've seen him that way. And the way he looks at you..." She sighs. "He follows you around like a lost puppy..." I laugh at that. "And...well...you don't just bring out music and slow-dance on the beach with just anyone, do you?" She says, slowly turning to me and raising an eyebrow, giving me a knowing look. And that's when I catch on – she knows.

"What?" I'm stunned and quite speechless.

"Don't worry...none of the boys saw. It was just me!" She waves her hand, talking as if it's nothing. She is cool as a cucumber about this whole thing. "And, before you ask, I've not told Paul. I've not told anybody –"

"Thank you..." I all I can say as I breathe a little sigh of relief, but also panicking inside that someone actually saw us.

"I figured that if there was anything between you and Mike, then you'd tell people when you're ready...trust me, I've been there..."

"Thanks..."

"I mean, he's had his struggles...but deep down, Mike's a good-hearted guy...and I think you'd be good for him...you'd keep him on track. He's not been himself for a while now...and I think you could be the one that saves him..."