Chapter 40: No more lies

Start from the beginning

"Riley." Heath winces and I get a little startled.

"Sorry." I apologize when I put together that he winced because I was pressing too hard. After I'm done cleaning the cuts on his face, it's time for his chest. "Time to take off your shirt." I say as if his eight pack is not going to affect me.

He slowly removes his shirt, and his defined abs are revealed. I take a new cotton ball and dab it on his wound cleaning it. I try to focus my eye's on his cuts, but they trail down his eight pack. They're so defined. "Like something you see?" Heath smirks.

I clear my throat finding it hard to come up with words to say. " Can't come up with your own line now can you?"

"My personal lines are right here. They're my favourite by the way, they never fail to impress." He points at his abs and whispers the last part into my ear. A smile appears on my face at the level of his cockiness. Man does he know how to cheer up a girl. "There's the smile I like." He smiles.

"Ha. Ha. You made me smile. Big deal." I throw the cotton balls away. "Put your shirt on. I'm done." I announce. I wait for him to put his shirt back on,but he just raises his eyebrows at me.

"We're going to bed aren't we?" Heath asks. I nod," Then? I don't know about you, but I definitely do not wear a shirt when I sleep."

"You wore one when we slept together?..." I mention.

"Yeah now I'm sleeping alone." He shrugs.

"Okay. You know what? I shouldn't even care you sleep in your room and I'll sleep in mine." I walk back over to the bathroom and tuck the first aid box back in its spot.

"Okay I'm going to bed. You should too." Heath suggets. Sleep? I swallow a lump in my throat.

I leave the kitchen lights on and head to my room. I tuck myself in, praying that I can actually get some sleep.

*********

Heath's POV

*********

It's three am and I haven't been able to get any sleep. Why the fuck did Riley have to come?! I prefer dying over getting Riley screwed. She's my responsibility now and I can't let her get in any more trouble because of my mistakes.

"Dad please, don't I'll do anything for you. Whatever I've done I've always done for you!" I hear Riley yell in fear from her room. I immediately rush towards her. "P-please! Dad! Please! He was stupid just give him another chance! Please!.... I have to do something h-he's going to pull the trigger. H-he's going to die." Riley repeats.

Did I do this to her? Is her remembering something about her dad, my fault? I couldn't help, but feel guilty looking at her helpless condition.

"Riley," I try to shake her awake. "Riley! Dammit Riley wake up!" I yell. Her body burning hot and sweat was visible on her skin.

"NO!" She shrieks in utter pain. She wakes up panting for air. Tears flood down her cheeks.

"Riley." I pull her into a hug as she starts sobbing. Her heart was pounding against her chest and I could feel every single beat.

"I-I d-didn't- H-he I-I'm so sorry." She sobs.

I pull her out of the hug. "Riley," I say pushing a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "You shouldn't be sorry. You did nothing wrong, okay?" I wipe her tear, but she shakes her head terrified.

"I-I," She pants," J-Jack-" Where does Jack fit into all of this?

"Riley, hey? We'll talk about this in the morning. Okay? Just get some sleep." I tuck her back in. "Shhh." I pat her forehead. After a while, she calms down. I lean down and kiss her forehead.

Why is so beautiful, brave, and so unique?... Why do I feel something more towards her than just friends. I've tried to kiss her before I don't know why, but the feeling that somewhere she wanted it too made me ecstatic. She did hesitate sometimes, but she didn't back away. Heath no. All you've caused her is pain. Since she's been here all you've done is make her cry. I remind myself. I clench my jaw in anger.

I turn around to leave, but a warm grip on my wrist stops me. I turn around and look down at Riley. "P-Please don't go." She begs.

I give her a half hearted smile before climbing in beside her. She moves over and lets me settle in before she rests her head on my chest. I wrap my arm under and behind her back forcing her closer to me. "I promise." Riley sighs before falling into a deep sleep.

I caused Riley this pain. I think to myself before I fall asleep, terrified of how this story could end.

A/N:

I want you guys to guess what happens next! Comment and I can't wait to see what your imaginations come up with!

I really don't know what to say about you guys. You are just amazing and I love your guys' support.

It's Thanksgiving weekend so I wanted to update to show that I appreciate every single one of you who read or reads this book. You all mean a lot to me. I never ever thought that my book would every get more than ten views, but it did and I wanted to Thank You from the bottom of my heart.

THANK YOU SO EFFIN MUCH!!!!

Vote-Comment-Follow-Share