A Mother's Love

In case you haven't been keeping up, I found out both my maternal grandfather and my father were hunters like Sam and Dean. My sister and I had finally found each other again, and we talked on a fairly regular basis. The only family member who was still somewhat of a mystery to me was my mother. Now keep in mind that the woman had no clue what her father and her husband did for a living. She was under the same impression that my sister and I had been for years; dad was in the military, and poppy loved to hunt for sport. So what drove the woman so crazy that she decided to drop Scarlett and me off with her parents and leave us? Didn't she love us? We had already had one parent run out on us (for our own saftey, I now knew), why didn't she stay? For years I had wondered, and for years I couldn't come up with a valid reason for a mother to leave the children she claimed to love to death. One day, Sam and I were rummaging through some more of nana and poppy's things while Dean was out looking for women. We had found some more photos, love letters that poppy had written to nana while he was off to war (he fought in World War II), and some jewelry that most likely belonged to my mother. I held up one of the necklaces I found and showed it to Sam. "This had to belong to my mom," I told him. "See the stones inside the heart? Turquoise and diamond. Mine and my sister's birthstones." "That's beautiful, sweetie," he said. "See? Your mom loved you two." "Not enough to stay with us after dad had to leave," I said, a little tear in my eye. "There's an explanation for everything, baby," Sam said, wiping my tear. "There has to be something here that can give you some peace of mind as to why your mom had to leave too." "I really hope you're right," I told him. "I'll be right back," he said. "I'm going to get us something to drink." Soon after Sam left the room, I started pouring out some more of my nana's old boxes...and there it was. An envelope with my name on it, written in my mother's handwriting. My hand started to shake a little as I reached for it to open it up. I took out the letter that was inside and started to read: My dearest Sammi, I know you and your sister are probably wondering why I left you so suddenly. You're probably thinking I couldn't take care of you on my own or that I didn't love you, but you'd be wrong. I left you girls BECAUSE I love you. There was a part of me that knew your father did not leave us for another woman, so I left you in the safest place I knew and went to find him and restore our family. If you're reading this, it means one of two things: Either I am still out searching for your daddy OR I am no longer living on this earth. If it happens to be the latter, just know that I love you and your sister very very much, and so does your father. Please, if I haven't found him by now, don't stop looking for him. I know in my heart that he left with good reason, whether he was forced to or because he was protecting us. You girls need your father and he needs you. Be good to each other and keep loving one another, okay? Until we meet again...Mom. Sam came back just in time to see the water works. He put the glasses he was carrying down on the night stand and came running over to me. "What's wrong, baby?" he asked and gave me a big hug. I handed him the letter so he could read it. When he finished, he had a tear or two in his eye too. He hugged me again, then said, "I told you there had to be some kind of explanation as to why your mom would just up and leave you." When I stopped crying, I looked at him and said, "My sister and I were under the impression that she just snapped when dad took off. We thought maybe she checked herself into a mental institution or something. Boy how wrong we were." "Did you ever ask your grandparents if they knew where she went?" Sam asked. "Come to think of it, I don't think I did," I told him. "Scarlett may have. She was almost 12 when everything happened, so she was probably more curious than her 8-year old sister." "Well now that you found this letter, you can ask your sister if she received a similar letter," Sam suggested. "I could," I agreed. "Either way, I'm just glad I now know that my mother didn't leave because she didn't love us or she couldn't take care of us. It definitely puts my mind at ease." Sam smiled and said, "She would have been crazy to stop loving you. You are lovable in every sense of the word." I gave him a big kiss, we cleaned up the mess I had made, and we went downstairs to make dinner.