Chapter Twenty Eight

I can't pretend that you're only my friend when you're holding my body tight. Cause I like the way you're making your move, I like the way you're making me wait.-Souldecision, Faded

After we had gotten home from the mountains, I was in the biggest rush getting all the Christmas presents.

My group of friends decided to do Secret Santa, and since Alyce was a sly person, she had kept Noah's name in her pocket and passed it to me. I had rolled my eyes, but was actually very content she had done that.

Damon and I decide to go shopping. Damon and Mackenzie became official on the last day of the grad trip, when they had gone stargazing. He had kissed her and asked her to be his girlfriend, to which she happily agreed. Damon is now stressing about what to get his new girlfriend and agreed to help me find a gift for Noah, as long as I help him.

I get my mother a book she had been dying to read and my father a cook book from the best recipes around the world. Now all that is left is Noah's present, but what the hell do you get someone who deserves the world?

"The girl is rich," Damon groans. "There's nothing I can get her that she doesn't already have."

"You have to get her something sentimental, not expensive," I instruct. "She clearly doesn't need any materialistic things. Get her something that you put a lot of thought into, like a date night or a playlist of all the songs you think she'd love."

"You are brilliant, my dear," Damon exclaims. "Now we have to get Noah something. How about you sleep with him? That always gets a guy in a good mood."

"What is wrong with you?" I hit him upside his head.

"Fine, no sex, but I'm not going to be the one to break the news to him," Damon huffs. "How about you get him clothes? Despite popular belief, guys love clothes."

"I know that," I mutter. Suddenly, I have the perfect idea. "Damon, where's the nearest art store?"

I make Damon speed to the art store so I can buy a canvas and new paints. After assembling all the supplies necessary, Damon drops me off at home and I begin painting.

I start by painting the sunset that we had seen numerous times on the roof of the school. It is a mess of oranges and pinks and reds, a symphony of colours that sounds like a unique chord. Then, I paint him, starting with his prominent features, like his hazel eyes and messy hair. I paint him holding a rose, offering it with a small smile. This is one of the moments that had first made me fall for him.

It feels like only minutes go by when the draft of the painting is finished. I sit back and blow a loose strand of hair out of my face, analyzing the painting. The colours turned out really pretty. I can't wait until this is complete.

I know I can't finish the painting in one day, but luckily, winter break starts soon and our gift exchange doesn't happen until Christmas Eve. I have another week of school before the break, and since universities are looking at my first and second term grades, I promise myself that I would focus on school. I plan out my time so I can finish the painting by the twenty fourth.

❀ ❀ ❀

By the time Christmas Eve rolls around, I had just completed the last layers of the painting. I did not settle for anything less than perfection. It took time, but I finally managed to get the painting to a point I love. I almost feel sad giving it away, but I know Noah will love it.