Baby Sibling (Pt. 9 of Positive)

"Esperanza come in here please," you called and she came running down the hall with a smile on her face.

"Yeah mommy?"

Leo stood next to you and wrapped an arm around your waist. Esperanza was now six years old and growing fast, she had started kindergarten and was absolutely fascinated with tools and reading. Now, she was about to become something important.

"Hi mi princesa," Leo smiled and she smiled back.

"Hi daddy, what's going on?" She asked as you were hiding something behind your back.

You walked forward and bent down to her eye level, taking your hands out and putting them in front of her, a little plastic baby in your palms.

"Do you know what this is?" You asked and Esperanza nodded.

"Yeah, it's a baby,"

"Right, and where do babies live before they're born?"

"In a mommy's tummy," she pointed to your stomach and you smiled.

"That's right. Well, Esperanza, a baby is living in a mommy's tummy right now."

Her brown eyes widened. "Really? Where?!"

You set a hand on your stomach and Leo smiled. "Here, mommy's carrying a baby. You're going to be a big sister Esperanza."

Her smile faded, shoulders slumping and she balled her hands up into fists. "No."

"What?"

"No." She said again and you were taken aback.

"What do you mean no?"

"I don't want a baby. I don't wanna be a big sister! I wanna be the princesa!"

"Esperanza please understand," Leo tried to explain but she wasn't having any of it.

"NO! TAKE THE BABY BACK I DON'T WANT IT!" She wailed then ran into her room crying.

Tears welled up in your eyes and Leo held you close as you cried into his shoulder. Esperanza didn't want to have a sibling, she was angry that you were pregnant again. You sniffled and looked up at him.

"I knew we should have waited to tell her," you said and Leo wiped your tears away with his thumb.

"Waited how long mi amore? Until the baby got here? There's nothing we could have done, you made the right choice by telling her."

"But she doesn't want a sibling Leo, she hates the baby."

He leaned down pressing his lips to yours in a sweet loving kiss then tucked a piece of hair behind your ear.

"I'll go talk to her, just give Esperanza some time."

You nodded and he walked down the hall to his daughters room, soft crying coming from the other side of the door. He gently knocked then walked inside to find Esperanza on her bed curled up in a thick blanket, tears falling down her cheeks and a permanent pout on her face.

"Hey majita,"

She turned away from him, crossing her arms and staying silent. Leo sighed through his nose then walked over sitting on her bed, waiting. For a few minutes no words were said until Esperanza's tiny voice spoke.

"I don't want a baby," she mumbled and Leo scooted closer.

"Well, that isn't up to you to decide. Mommy is having a baby whether you don't want it or not, there's no changing this Esperanza."

She turned and balled up the blanket in her tiny fists. "Can't mommy take it back?"

Leo smiled a little chuckling, "I'm afraid not." He patted his lap and she crawled into it laying her head on his chest and he started stroking her curls.

"Daddy?"

"Hm?"

"Am I not gonna be the princesa anymore when the baby gets here?"

Leo shifted her in his lap so she was looking up at him and he was looking down at her. "You're always going to be my princesa majita, even with the new baby here. Plus, the baby might turn out to be a boy, and a boy can't be a princesa."

Esperanza smiled a little, "I didn't think about that."

Leo smiled back and tucked a curl behind her ear. "When the baby gets here, you gotta be a big girl. You gotta take care of the baby and be a big sister to him or her. The baby's going to be looking up to you Esperanza, you gotta be there for them."

She nodded in understanding, her smile still there and she hugged Leo, her face buried in his chest.

"Okay daddy, te amo."

"Te amo mi princesa,"