Staying Up For Santa

{A/N}

You guys are around seven in this chapter.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

It was Christmas Eve in Texas and your parents had allowed you to stay over at your best friend Leo's house for a sleep over. You were ecstatic to spend Christmas with the Valdez's, Leo was so amazingly sweet to you and his mother Esperanza adored you.

Leo and you were currently playing in the middle of the living room floor in front of the small but lovely decorated tree, the little Latino was racing toy cars making motor noises with his mouth while you played with your stuffed dog. You both were all dressed for bed, him in tool footsie pajamas and you in a (g/p related image) nightgown and socks.

"I can't wait for Santa to get here," Leo grinned, one of his canine teeth lost and the other loose enough that he could wiggle it with his tongue.

You smiled back at him, buzzing with excitement. "Me either, I hope he brings lots of toys."

His wide smile faded a little and he rolled his cars around without enthusiasm. "He usually doesn't bring lots of toys, he got me this car last year." Leo held up the blue racer. "I hope he's gonna get me another one."

Your eyes widened in shock. That's all Leo had gotten? At your house, Santa had brought you a huge doll house, a new teddy bear, and coloring books with crayons and markers. How come he only gave Leo one car?

You opened your mouth to ask, but then decided against it. It might hurt Leo's feelings to know that you had gotten more gifts than him, he deserved all the presents in the world.

"Okay niños it's bedtime," Leo's mother smiled walking out of the kitchen. "You better go to sleep quickly, or else Santa might not come."
(Niños=kids)

You and Leo looked at each other, eyes wide then sprung to your feet. He grabbed your hand running to his room quicker than anything then you both hopped into his bed giggling. You curled up under the covers while Leo sat on top of them, he didn't get cold often. Esperanza walked in and kissed Leo's curls lovingly then kissed your hair as well, smiling warmly.

"Goodnight you two, sweet dreams." She whispered.

"Night mamá," Leo smiled.

"Night Ms. Valdez," you yawned.

Esperanza quietly left the room shutting the door gently behind her. You and Leo got comfortable, hugging your stuffed dog and him tossing and turning next to you. You didn't mind though, this was usual when sleeping over. Leo was always a restless child, never wanting to sit still for more than a few seconds.

"Hey (y/n)?" He whispered.

"Yeah?"

"Wanna stay up and try to see Santa?"

You rolled over to face him, Leo's brown eyes stared at you in the darkness and you smiled at his mischievous grin.

"But if we stay up, he won't come."

Leo got out of bed quietly, grabbing his pillow and stuffing it under the covers.

"Put your pillow under the blanket, it'll look like we're sleeping." He said and you smiled doing just that.

"That's a great idea Leo! Come on let's get some flashlights."

You hopped out of the bed as he rummaged around in his drawer, taking out a plastic, dinosaur sticker covered flashlight then a pink glitter one for you. Leo quietly cracked his bedroom door open, you peeking out from behind him. The house was quiet, and down the hall you could see the colored lights of the Christmas tree.

Leo tip-toed out the door and you followed right behind him, hugging your stuffed dog under your arm. You both took extra precautions when passing Esperanza's room, stopping every once in a while when a shifting sounded from inside. Leo put his finger to his lips, signaling to be quiet and you nodded in understanding.

Once passing the door you both quietly ran to the living room then climbed up onto the couch. Leo was grinning from pointed ear to pointed ear, shining his flashlight at the simmering fireplace. Embers still crackled in the quiet air but it was soothing, warm and comforting.

"We're finally gonna see Santa," he whispered and you smiled at him.

"Yeah, but we have to be quiet." You put your finger to your lips like he had earlier and Leo giggled.

"Quiet is my middle name."

And you both sat waiting, flashlights searching inside the fireplace. You don't know how long it was, but Leo was getting restless again, squirming around in his seat and snapping his fingers.

"Leo sssh, your mommy's gonna wake up." You whispered and he stopped looking at you.

"Sorry, but it's getting boring."

"Hmm. . ." You looked around the room, searching for something to occupy the hyperactive Latino. Your eyes landed on the milk and cookies on the coffee table, Leo always seemed to be still when eating. "Wanna eat a cookie?"

"Those are Santa's though,"

"I'm sure he won't mind if we just eat one." You smiled at him and he smiled back, sliding off of the couch and nearing the plate.

"I guess you're right."

You each took a cookie, savoring the taste of the cinnamon covered treat that Esperanza had made herself. Leo munched happily while you laughed a little chewing, feeding some to your stuffed dog. After eating you both sat back on the couch, waiting again.

Time passed slowly, the clock on the mantel ticked endlessly and you were starting to get very sleepy. Your eyes grew heavy, a yawn escaping your lips and you laid your head on Leo's shoulder.

"Come on (y/n) don't fall asleep yet, Santa isn't here." He whispered in your ear and you nodded.

"Mhm. . ." Sleep took you away and Leo sighed blowing a raspberry. He wasn't going to fall asleep, he was strong.

Boy was he wrong. Leo's eyelids fell over his chocolate brown orbs, his head drooping down. He shifted to the side falling asleep on the couch, your body against his side. Leo on instinct started to suck his thumb while you hugged his waist for warmth, a smile gracing your lips at how comfortable and cuddly Leo was.

As dreamland swept the both of you away, some soot dropped down from the chimney, and shiny black boots landed on the floor. A man appeared, smiling at the sight of Leo and you cuddled on the couch.

"Ho ho ho," he chuckled deep in his throat. The man then set his red bag on the floor, running a hand through his snow white beard to get the soot out from it. Afterwards he reached into the bag, taking out perfectly wrapped gifts and setting them under the tree, even the ones he had forgotten to leave for Leo the year before.

The man quietly walked to the coffee table and ate the cookies and drank the glass of ice cold milk. He then set a little card next to the plate, apologizing for the late gifts and wishing you and Leo a very Merry Christmas. And soon, he was gone. Up the chimney and into his beautiful red sleigh, pulled by eight tiny reindeer.

Leo's eyes opened for a split second, seeing little drops of soot and snow falling onto the logs in the fireplace. A sleepy smile crossed his lips and he fell back asleep, excited to share the news to you in the morning that he had seen Santa. . .even though it was just his exit.