Sadness Always Comes with a Reason

Hey guys! Finished this chapter so I decided to upload it.

Hope you enjoy!

To the side is Ryan. (Chace Crawford)

Vote, comment, and fan please!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Chapter 6-

-Joel-

I had just gotten home from work and was sitting at the dinning room table when Duncan came up behind me.

"Joel?" He asked.

I look up from my book and meet his gaze. "Yes, Duncan?"

He looks away for a second, then takes the seat next to me, returning his gaze to mine.

"Why don't you come to a party this weekend with me?" He asked, his eyes shinning hopefully.

I feel my face immediately flush. I pen my mouth, but nothing comes out. A party.....? With Duncan....? "I can't." I finally say.

Duncan looked confused and slightly hurt. "Why?"

"I-I don't do parties." I say simply.... And I don't..... not after that night.

Duncan got up. "I get it... you don't want to go with me." He says softly. "But, it's okay." He lies, then leaves the room.

"Wait... Duncan...." I start to say, but he keeps going. I sigh, wishing there was only a way to make him happy without hurting myself.

Just as I'm to start reading my book again, my phone begins to ring. I pull it out of my pocket and look at the caller ID. I smile as I read, "Hailey", then see the lovely picture she took of herself the day I met her. I answer the phone quickly. "Hey, Hailey."

"Hey, Joel! Let's grab a bite then have a sleepover tonight. No school tomorrow for the teacher meeting thingy." Hailey says, her slight country accent still noticeable over the phone.

I smile to myself. "Sure." I reply.

-

Within an hour I'm back at my work place, on a personal visit to eat with Hailey. Once we walk through the door, I see Ryan and smile.

"Hey." I say to him.

He looks up and smiles. "Oh, hey Joel." He says, then his eyes hit Hailey.

Hailey smiles and begins to walk towards him. She held out her hand and smiled at him. "I'm Hailey."

Ryan grins and shakes her hand, holding it a little too long. "I'm Ryan." He says, staring into her eyes. "Wow, I love you accent." He says.