Nightmares & Realities: Part 8

"Rogue" was still sleeping when she heard the phone ring. She picked up the old princess-style phone and answered in a shaky voice. "Hello?"

"Rogue, darlin', is that you?"

"Who are you? How do you know about Rogue?"

"It's Logan," he said in a soft voice. It was strange, because it was Rogue's voice, but without her southern accent. "Are ya alright?"

"I don't know what you talking about," she said through cracked speech." My name is Carol," she added, her voice becoming more panicked. "My name is Carol." She dropped the phone receiver. She sat on the bed rocking back and forth, repeating over and over again that she was Carol and not Rogue.

Logan tore the page that held the Danvers' address out of the book and stuffed in his pocket. He could still hear Rogue's chanting through the phone, even though it was faint. A look of fright came to Logan face as Remy came up to him carrying a takeout bag. Logan grabbed him. "Come on, Gumbo. I found her, but we gotta to get there fast."

"For the last time..."

"I know, I know, but we got more important things to do."

This time Logan insisted on driving. "Ya sure ya know where t'go, Mon ami?" Remy said taking a bite of his sandwich. The two whipped around the corner and out of site. Logan never did answer the question.

xxxxxxxxxx

"Rogue" was in a state of panic. Nothing made sense anymore. Who was that guy on the phone. She recognized his voice. Logan? She knew that name somehow, but she couldn't remember from where. The last thing she did remember clearing was picking up that hitchhiker. She was on her way home. Here. Her parents home, the place she grew up, but she couldn't remember how she got here, only that her was here. Then she remember the hitchhiker, a pretty blond woman with a Cajun accent. What happened to her?

A flash of memory came into her head. "Oh, my god, I...I killed her." She closed her eyes tight, hoping that when she opened them her own reflection would be looking back at her. She got up off the bed. And felt around until she reached the dresser. She opened them and that face, the face that wasn't hers looked back at her, mocking her.

She screamed out in horror. "Noooo!" She picked up her jewelry box and threw it at the mirror, shattering it to pieces. She fell to the floor, sobbing uncontrollably. "Who are you?"

A memory came to her. A hotel room, there she remembered a girl, the one this face belonged to. A girl called Rogue. That Cajun woman attacked her. Carol was only trying to help her, but something happened when their skin touched. She couldn't remember what.

"Oh, God, I'm her," she cried, "and she's me."

Suddenly she heard voices. She got up and ran towards the door. She quietly opened it and walked into the hallway. She heard a woman speak first. "I don't believe what those doctors say. Our baby isn't gone."

"Don't do this to yourself, honey," a man's voice came. "We have to face facts. She's not going to get any better."

She knew those voices. "It's mom and dad," she whispered, walking slowly to the staircase. "They're home. They'll know what to do."

She raced down the staircase and caught up with them in the living room. She was standing in the doorway when the middle-aged couple looked up. Mrs. Danvers gasped at the sight of her.

"Rogue" ran to her and put her arms around her. "Mom," she cried. "I missed you so much."

Mrs. Danvers pushed her away. "Who are you, and what are you doing in our home?"

"Mom?" she said, shocked. "It's me. Carol. I know I don't look like me, but it is me. There was a accident and..."

"Shut up," Mrs. Danvers screamed. "My daughter is lying in a hospital bed, because..." Mrs. Danvers slumped down on the couch sobbing.

"Young woman," Mr. Danvers demanded. "Leave our home this instant and I won't call the authorities."

"But Daddy it is me, it really is. There was a accident and this girl, she touched me and, and... Please, you have to believe me! I'm Carol! Don't you remember, when I was four years old you taught me how to ride a bike. I fell off twice and skinned both of my knees. Remember? And Mom, remember when I six and had the chicken pox. You stayed up at night reading to me. Remember. Please, tell me you remember." She was sobbing now, while Mr. And Mrs. Danvers were frozen where they stood.

"How do you...?" Mrs. Danvers whispered, not able to finish the sentence.

Suddenly a knock came at the door. "Rogue," she heard a man call out to her. The door was ajar and two men entered the house. The man called Logan could sniff her out anywhere. He stood in the living room. "Hey, darlin', everything's alright now."

"Who are you?" Mister Danvers asked, picking up the phone. "I'm calling the police."

"Look, we don't mean to break in like this. We just came for Rogue."

"Rogue" shook her head. "No, I'm not her." She tried to run out of the room, but Logan caught her. "Let go of me."

He had both hands on either side of her face, forcing her to look at him. He wore his heavy leather gloves after learning from Remy that her powers had come back. "Rogue, look at me. You're not Carol. You're Rogue. Don't ya remember. It's Logan."

"Rogue" was shaking, as tears rolled down her face. "Logan, help me." She collapsed in his arms and fell unconscious. He scooped her up in his arms. To the Danvers he said, "Sorry, about the trouble. We're leavin', so there no need to call anybody."

"Why does she claim to be Carol?" Mrs. Danvers said, walking over to the two men.

"It's complicated," Remy said. "How she doin', Logan?"

"Don't know," Logan said, looking down at the unconscious Rogue.

"I almost believed her," Mrs. Danvers said with tears in her eyes. Her husband came over to her and put an arm around her. He still had the phone in his hand.

"Sorry, 'bout dis," Remy said, Looking at Rogue tenderly and stroking her loose hair. "We going now."

They made it to the car in a matter of minutes and laid Rogue in the back seat. Remy sat with her, talking softly to her. Logan entered the driver's side and took off as fast as he could. He wasn't for sure if that Mr. Danvers really did call the cops and he didn't want to be around to find out.

Remy looked down at the unconscious Rogue. How helpless she looked. She had come back. Logan had done it, somehow, but he wasn't for sure what would happen when she woke up. Would she become Carol again or would she be Rogue, the girl he loved?