Nightmares & Realities: Part 3

Rogue took comfort in the solace of the trees. Things were peaceful there in the woods. There wasn't a living soul for miles around. It was safer if she stayed away from people. If there was no one around, she couldn't hurt anyone. But that voice still rang in her head, that woman's voice. She couldn't understand it? Her power had never lasted this long. Why was this woman still in her head, and why did she still have her powers?

Rogue sank to the ground. In her heart she knew what had happened, but she wouldn't let herself believe it.

"This can't be happenin'," she whimpered, clutching herself to the ground. But it is, the voice in her head said. Admit it, Rogue, you wanted it to happen. "Shut up!" she shouted out loud then took off running. That seemed like the only thing that would drown out the voice, but not completely. Can't run from me. I'm inside you.

She couldn't stand it anymore. She made a fist and punched it into a large tree. The tree fell over smashing down beneath her. She was trapped. She laid there for the longest time. All the time Carol's voice taunted her.

Come on, little Rogue, you just going to lay there and die. It would be what you deserved after what you've done.

"No! No! Ah didn't mean to, ah swear."

Yes, you did. Don't lie to yourself. I can see all your dark little secrets.

"No, please, just go away. Ah didn't want this. Ah didn't. Ah swear." Tears ran down her face as she lay under the fallen tree waiting for death. That's all she wanted now. There was nothing left for her. She no longer wanted to be trapped in this cursed body. It seemed the only way out.

Yes, that right, Carol's voice said once again in her head. Die! That's what you deserve. You're evil. Evil! EVIL!

No!" Rogue screamed and threw the fallen tree off of her. "Ah'm not evil! Ah'm not!"

She sprang to her feet and started running again. She had her gloves in her jacket pocket, but she hadn't worn them in weeks, not since the night she met Remy. She tried desperately to put them on but dropped one in the process. Her head was spinning so much that she couldn't concentrate, so she keep running, soon after dropping the other. Somehow she made it to the street. Carol's voice quieted some, and she was able to gather her thoughts.