Nightmares & Realities: Part 5

Rogue was walking down a street. She didn't know which. She didn't really much care. She had long ago lost her gloves, so her hands were tucked away securely into her pockets. Carol's voice was no longer screaming in her head, although she was still aware of her presence. She thought for a moment that she could control it, that this situation was manageable. She thought again. She couldn't live like that. She wanted her gone. She wanted her powers gone. They had been nothing but a curse from the very beginning. How she wished she could go back to the day before, before Carol had innocently touched her. Why did they have to come back at that moment? Was it something about Carol that triggered it? She couldn't think about that now. She needed to find a way to reverse this before she went completely mad.

She passed several stores. She was so hungry, but she was too afraid to walk into any restaurant for a bite to eat. What if it happened again? What if she mistakenly touched someone else? Her mind was so fragile at this point. She wouldn't have been able to take it, so she kept on walking.

She passed an electronic store and that's when she saw it. There was a news report coming on the television in the window.

"Yesterday, nineteen year old Carol Danvers was found conscious and near death at a local hotel. She was taken to nearby St. James Hospital where doctors are baffled by her strange condition. The parents of the girl were called immediately but have no comment at this time.

Rogue saw the picture of the girl come up on the screen. "That's her," she whispered. "Oh, mah god, that's her. What have ah done?" Tears came to her eyes. She knew she had to do something but didn't know what.

A whole day had passed and she wasn't even aware. She had to fix this.

Perhaps if she could see her face to face again, maybe the answer would come to her. Maybe there was some way to reverse this. She reached for her phone. She wanted to call Logan. She needed him now. She knew he would be the only one who wouldn't judge her, but there was a problem. She no longer had her phone. She really felt lost now. How could she have lost it? She would just have to see Carol alone. That terrified her. She never wanted to see that face again, but she had to. She told herself that it was the only way.

The hospital was only a few blocks away, but for Rogue it seemed like the longest journey. Her heart beat faster and faster the closer she got. By the time she walked through the hospital doors her legs were like jello. Her body was slow and unsteady, shaking just a little. Her face was pale and her hair a mess, but all that didn't matter. She felt like hell, but she managed to make it to the information desk.

"May I help you?" the receptionist asked. At first Rogue didn't answer. She heard Carol's voice again.

What's wrong, little Rogue, feeling guilty?

"Ma'am, are you alright?"

Rogue snapped back to reality. "Yeah, ah'm looking for Carol Danvers," she said almost in a whisper. "She was admitted last night."

The woman hit a few keys on her computer. "Oh, yes," the woman said. "Third floor. Room 305."

Rogue thanked the woman and slowly walked to the nearby elevator and pushed the button. She felt as if she were stuck in some horrible nightmare. She was barely aware of her surroundings. All she knew was that she needed to see this woman once again. She thought if she could see her body the woman's voice would cease her taunting, but still she walked so slowing, wanting to see but then again not wanting to. Finally she reached the room. She stayed in the doorway for the longest time. Fear overcame her. She no longer heard Carl's voice. It was her own guilt that taunted her.

"Ah did this," she whispered to herself. A tear escaped her eye. Each step she took seemed like an eternity, but the fear grew more and more with each one. Finally she stood next to the woman's bed. She looked dead lying there. "Ah'm so sorry!"