"Get the f.uck off me!" I shoved at him.

My arms were held so tightly there were bruises left in the shapes of his fingers the next next day.

"You aren't leaving me Everly."

"Like h.ell I'm not!"

"You aren't." He lowered his voice. "I love you."

"You don't love me!" I scoffed, "And I don't love you! I never could, not after..."

"But there is someone you do love..." He cuts me off.

I still my movements as my eyebrows furrow in confusion. "Who.. Who are you talking about?"

"Reid."

It was then, that one name, that changed everything...

"I like it when you wear my gifts." Carter's voice makes me jump slightly as a kiss is pressed to my temple.

I force a smile on my face as he sits down across from me, placing a white linen napkin across his lap.

"I was afraid you didn't like it."

"Hmmm?" I take a sip of my wine, trying to push the thoughts of the past out of my mind.

"Your watch. I hadn't seen you wear it yet. Looks lovely."

"Oh." I look down at my wrist. "Yes, it's beautiful. Thank you again."

"Only the best for you." He smiles at me. "Shall I order for us?"

"Of course." I nod, setting my menu down. Wondering why I'd even bothered to glance over it in the first place.

Carter quickly orders for both of us, the waiter rushing off to the kitchen as my eyes wander over the empty restaurant.

The completely empty restaurant. How did I not notice this before?

"I reserved it all." Carter speaks up, having seemingly read my mind. "Every table. The entire restaurant is just ours tonight."

"That's very romantic of you." I shift uncomfortably in my chair as I smile.

"I'm very pleased you think so. I did tell you I had something important to discuss with you tonight."

"I remember." I nod.

"You look gorgeous Everly, simply breathtaking." He looks over my face. "You always do..."

He places his hand on top of mine, it feeling cold to the touch.

"I can count on you. I trust you." He squeezes my hand gently. "More so then I have any other woman."

Meredith's face flashes before my eyes as he smiles at me gently. He must of looked at her this way at some point. Felt the same way he professes to feel for me. But when did he stop loving her? When did he stop trusting her, and why?

"I love you very much Everly."

I blink a few times, focusing back on Carter's eyes. A fond smile lighting us his face as he gazes back at me adoringly.

If I didn't know him, if I didn't know Carter for who he truly was... What he truly was.. I would think he was just that, a man looking at the woman he loved.

But that isn't who the true Carter is at all. He doesn't love me. I doubt he had ever really loved Meredith. He isn't capable of such a thing.

"Do you love me?"

My eyes widen slightly as I sit up straighter, taken aback by his question.

"You never tell me you do." He states.