Confusing Pasts and Stubborn Wishes

Start from the beginning

Hailey groans. “This is going to be hard to get you to believe me.”

I just roll my eyes and continue to eat.

-

“I’ll see you later, Hailey.” I say as I wave her goodbye. Duncan was driving me to work since my hours start right after school. She returns the gesture but also blows a kiss at me, then starts walking to her house nearby.

Duncan honked from inside the car as I stood next to it, being impatient. I roll my eyes, then get into the car.

“What’s got your panties in a wad?” I ask him, slightly annoyed.

Duncan’s mood seemed to lighten and he laughed.

I looked at him. “What? What’s so funny?”

Duncan kept laughing, but collected himself soon after. “Only you would say that…. And that’s what I love about you.”

I guess I look taken back, because he cleared his throat awkwardly then started to drive.

Did he just say he loved something about me?

By the time we got to the restaurant, we had been silent in the car for 15 minutes. So I got out anxiously and entered the small diner I worked at.

“Hey, Joel.” Greeted one of my coworkers.

“Hey, Ryan.” I say to him. He’s goes to another school near ours, but he is the closet thing I’ve got to a male friend.

I quickly put on my apron and looked at the chart on the counter. I take up 5 tables in the corner tonight, I quickly look for the tables and spot them. All five are booths and are all empty. I nod to myself, grabbing my pen and paper, then wait for a few minutes till a family comes in and is seated at one of my tables. After letting them get settled, I walk over after a few minutes.

“Hello, my name is Joel and I will be serving you tonight. What drinks can I start you off with?” I ask, faking a smile.

“4 cokes please.” Says a man, who I am guessing is the father to the two small children and the woman’s husband.

I nod. “Alright then. I’ll be right back with those.”

I quickly retrieve them, then come back and hand each member of the family a coke. “Need anything else, just ask.” I tell them, then walk back behind the counter.

I look up as I hear the bell ring that goes off when somebody comes in. But I see the faces of Matt, Chase, and Duncan. I began to feel my stomach turn and my face pale. As they sit at my table, I make my way over to them.

“H-hello…. My name is Joel…. Is there anything I can get you today?” I ask them, my voice shaking.