Synergy by GeorgiaUrban

06 September 2015

Q1. What's the name of the book?

A. Synergy

Q2. What is the genre of your book?

A. It's an inter-racial romance, but because of the content, it was placed in the general fiction section rather than romance. Both characters live very complex lives and there's a lot more to the book than solely romance.

Q3. What gave you the idea for your book?

A. I'm a big fan of celebrities, but I always question their lifestyles. Nowadays, everybody wants their 5 minutes of fame, but do they really understand the negative side of fame? These people cannot just pop out to the shop for a pint of milk, nor can they ever have normality again. I also listen to primarily hip hop and rap music, and those songs tell a lot of stories. I wanted to make a character who lives in the types of environment these songs talk about. I wanted to show there are a lot more to people than meets the eye. I wanted to bring a stereotypical idea and transform it into something deeper.

Q4. Is the book R-rated?

A. It is R-rated, but it's honestly not that bad. It's certainly not as bad as a lot of books on here, but I thought it best to cover my back. There is no graphic sex (there is sex) , but there is a bit of swearing and drug use.

Q5. Can you give a summary of your book?

A. Dee Thompson is a 22-year old girl from Detroit. She already has a 2-year-old child and an estranged baby daddy when she meets international star, Jason Taylor. The pair are worlds apart, in every way, but something brings them together. The book follows them on their journey, through all the hardship and the drama.

Q6. Why do you believe it is a good read?

A. I believe it's a good read because it features complex and diverse characters. There's a whole movement at the moment in the literary world for more diversity in books, and I believe Synergy ticks all the boxes.

The book quashes stereotypes, not by ignoring them, but by putting them at the forefront of the story. Yes, the main female character is from the ghetto, yes, the male character is famous, but what else is there to those characters? What makes them unique?

Q7. What would you like to say to those who read your book?

A. Thank you to everybody who has read, voted, and commented on Synergy. All of those things make this story worth it, and I'm glad that other people are seeing the vision I had for this book. Due to the great feedback I got in a matter of months from Wattpad, I self-published the first book. Please don't be shy to tell your friends, and leave reviews elsewhere. I hope that the support from Wattpad can help me to achieve my goals outside of it too. You're all amazing.

Click the external link to go straight to the interviewed story.