How to Fall in Love (6)

Start from the beginning

Followed by his statement is assent from about six more investors. If in case this happens, Laurel-Tech will lose half of their yearly profit, and have the danger of bankruptcy.

"Laurel-Tech would like to apologize for this mishap. But we would also like to assure you that everything will be put to place and the missing files will be found," says Laurel.

My fingers trembling, I turned the page frantically and saw another head-cracking headline.

'CEO Laurel desperate, offers head department post'

"Laurel-Tech is willing to offer the head position for Files Department. I wouldn't want to ask for the public's help as this is the company's issue, but I would like to have the files recovered as fast as possible, and we must get all the help we can."

Laurel would like to add that anyone who is knowledgeable and keen to help is welcome at the Laurel-Tech building situated in New York City, New York at all times.

That was when everything came crashing down on me.

My heart racing, I returned the newspaper to the puzzled lady, dashing to the locker-pool to retrieve my flight bag and changing into a quick combination of a blouse and black pants, hoping that it was decent enough. I didn't bother combing my hair as I fled away from the locker-pool and back into the lobby, signing out.

Once outside the sauna, I dragged my flight bag around and waved my hand like an idiot, my eyes scanning the streets for a fast ride.

Thank heavens a cab finally stopped before me, and after forcing my flight bag into the backseat, not wanting to waste time opening the compartment, I got in myself.

"To Laurel-Tech Corporation, please."

And then the cab drove off, at a rather speedy rate of ninety kilometers, but I needed to get there as fast as I could.

It all seemed so surreal to me. How could a bug made by a complete hermit ever put to peril the personal files of investors of such a huge enterprise when all it was meant to do was shoot technical difficulties to the website?

I wasn't even an expert in the whole techy field. I merely had a knack for cracking computer codes, and because things spiraled out of control when I got fired and I was back to zero, and it was infuriating how everyone seemed to praise Finn Laurel when he couldn't even keep his company website bug-free, I sought for vengeance and—

"We're here."

At the cue of the driver, I gave him the fare needed and scrambled off the vehicle, watching in awe as the cab drove off so fast I didn't even have the chance to blink.

And when I turned around, that was when I realized that instead of just a wide building, it was more appropriate to say that Laurel-Tech was a colossal empire—a Glass Kingdom with such elegance it was excruciating. I think it was the first time I couldn't produce the right words to describe something even if you put a gun to my head.

Holding the handgrip of my flight bag tight in my hand, I sped up the flight of stairs, its wheels reverberating against the marbled floor, ignoring the strange looks boys and girls in business attire around me were shooting me, and reached the entrance. The glass doors slid open for me, and at once, I felt the cold air-conditioner hitting my skin, the smell of business everywhere.

I was about to continue forward, when a hand grabbed my arm back.

The security guard before me, whose stomach was bulging out from under his uniform, was looking at me suspiciously, his eyes training down to my other hand he wasn't holding.