33. Lies

Chapter thirty-four:

Within seconds, Liam was out the door and running with desperate speed towards the hospital, Cress close behind him. When they eventually reached the hospital room that Melissa and Mason had been keeping Hayden in, the two Betas strained to keep themselves from doubling over with exhaustion. Cress squinted through the darkness, curious as to why the table had been flipped over.

Cress' eyes scanned the rest of the room, noticing that Hayden was laying on the floor while Melissa combed her fingers through Hayden's dark hair with saddened eyes and a grave expression.

Cress watched blankly while Liam's tense shoulders squared. He slowly made his way around the table, dropping down to Hayden's side with a numb expression. At first, he watched her grimly but he eventually found the courage to take her into his arms and cradle her close to his chest.

Cress shuffled her weight from one foot to the other, feeling quite uncomfortable to be in the room. Perhaps she should've waited with Scott and Mason — not that they'd need her to. Melissa slowly began to stand up and make her to Cress, who still had her eyes on Liam and Hayden.

"You okay?" Melissa asked in a small sympathetic voice. Cress responded with a simple nod of her head, though her eyes didn't move. Smiling mournfully, Melissa patted Cress on her arm before exiting the room, leaving Cress to feel awkward again.

Cress jumped, averting her eyes to the doorway when someone stepped into her peripheral vision. Parrish stood in the doorway, eyes blank as they studied Hayden's lifeless form. His body was naked, exposed and singed, black soot covering most of his flesh. His eyes were distant, as if he had no emotions. "Parrish?" Her voice came out as a weak croak, almost inaudible. She watched as Parrish remained stationery, making no attempt to speak or look at Cress. A moment later, his eyes began to glow alight with a brilliant, fiery red. Cress watched with widened eyes.

Cress blinked, her eyes slowly squinting when she realized why Parrish would show up, naked burnt; Hayden, the dead Chimera. Cress let her eyes flick back back to Hayden and Liam as she waited to see what Liam would do once he realized why Parrish was here.

Cress noticed that Liam had already seen Parrish enter and was looking up at him with tears rimming his eyes. He bent his neck down and planted a soft kiss on Hayden's pale cheek.

Liam leaned back away from Hayden's body as Parrish began to advance. Carefully, Parrish bent down and effortlessly pulled Hayden into his burnt arms. He lifted her back up, turned and without saying a word, he moved towards the doors. A few agonizingly long moments later, he'd disappeared into the corridor.

Averting her eyes back to Liam, she watched with frustration as Liam lowered his head, his shoulder shuddering as a soft sob escaped his lungs.Cress furrowed her eyebrows as she watched him, not knowing how to comfort him.

She began to step forward, closing in the gap between them. Kneeling down, she gently rested the palm of her hand on his knee. He slowly opened his drooping eyelids and met her gaze, letting out another sniffling whimper. She gently wrapped her arms around him, pulling him into a comforting embrace. It took him a moment before he willingly relaxed into the embrace. She tensed uneasily when she felt the soft bobbing of his head as he wept into her shoulder.

Liam stayed there for a while long, wrapped in Cress' arms as he continued to let out the rest of his tears. He didn't want to leave but he had no wish to stay there. He soon inhaled a long shaky breath, recovering himself as he slowly pulled his head away from Cress' shoulders, uncomfortably wiping the tears from his eyes.

"You okay?" She asked uncertainly as she brought her arms away from his but left a comforting hand upon his hunched back.

He blinked up at her, his face He pale and his expression numb. He weakly lifted his shoulders and dropped them in the form of a shrug. "I want to go home." She began to nod understandingly but paused when she felt her stomach twist uneasily.

"Cress?" A new voice inquired steadily.

Cress grimly turned her attention the door, blankly eyeing down the figure who owned the voice; Theo. She pulled away from Liam and stood, watching him over the flipped table. Cress was surprisingly thankful that Theo made no move to step closer to her.

"What is it?" Theo asked, watching her grave expression as her eyes bore into him as if he were nothing but a glass window.

Cress, mortified, looked back up to him and gave a slow shrug. "Something's different."

"What's different?" Theo smirked curiously.

Cress blinked several times, trying to decipher her thoughts. "You." She mumbled sheepishly. "Chimera."

"The first successful one." Theo announced with a cruel grin.

Cress flinched and looked away, fuming. "You're not a werewolf."

Theo had lied to her. The entire time.

When he didn't say anything, Cress looked over her shoulder at Liam. "Come on, let's go find Scott."

Liam pulled himself to his feet and shuffled over to Cress' side. The two pushed past Theo, but paused to look back when the Chimera spoke again. "You won't find him."

"What did you do to him?" Liam spat in question.

Theo shrugged. "Doesn't matter anymore." His eyes looked troubled and he seemed to be only looking at Cress. Chewing her lip in self control, Cress turned back and began walking further down the hall, Liam close behind her.

Only Theo's voice rose up once again. Cress and Liam stopped but didn't turn back, only watching each other.

"I didn't lie about why I came back, Cress." He said earnestly. "I came back for you."

Squaring her shoulders, Cress stormed forward, surprisingly desperate to get as far away from Theo as possible.

_______________________________________________

Cress kept herself seated in a plush sofa downstairs in the dimly lit living room of Scott's house, with the toe of her boot tapping rhythmically as she counted the minutes that ticked past. She seemed to check her phone every few minutes as she grew more and more impatient. Her eyes stayed narrowed until she heard Melissa's footsteps coming from the staircase, bringing her attention away from the wall.   She instantly stood from the sofa, turning herself to Melissa, who gave her a hint of a war

A/N: You like?

I'm not entirely happy with this chapter :( Mainly because Theo's being a jerk and I don't like that. Doooooon't worry, he'll end up being a good guy in the story, Promise <3