18. Emissary

Chapter Eighteen:

Cress pursed her lips as she peered into her closet. She couldn't even decide what she wanted to where. Great. She ended up choosing a pair of skinny black jeans, a simple tight black singlet and a grey cardigan. Peering between her black converse and black combat boots, she shrugged and pulled out the combat boots.

She put on a thin layer of makeup and straightened her hair. She didn't have tame hair like Lydia or Kira. Cress' hair was pretty much a lion's mane.

She grabbed her bag as she hurried downstairs. Stiles and her dad were already at the kitchen table, scoffing down their breakfast.

"Morning." Cress said cheerily.

"Morning Cress," Sherif Stilinski croaked.

Stiles looked up, gave a forced smile and nodded. "Do you need me to drive you to school today?"

Cress shook her head. "No, Mase said he'd walk me." She pulled out a bottle of juice from the refrigerator and twisted the cap off. "Bye." She smiled, hurrying over and wrapping her father in a quick hug.

Cress gave her brother a polite smile as she headed towards the front door. She swung the door open and burst out into the warm sunshine. She almost regretted wearing a cardigan, but smiled anyway. She let the door shut behind her. She spun around and stopped short.

Liam. He stood on the sidewalk, kicking at the grass with his sneaker. A smile tugged at her lips. He looked up and smiled. She stepped down the steps and joined him on the pavement.

"Where's Mason?" She frowned, noticing that her other friend wasn't there.

Liam shrugged. "He's running late. Told me to come get you. Guess we're walking without him though."

Cress lifted her shoulders slightly, still smiling. They both turned and started walking along the path.

"How's the cut going?" Liam asked, trying to avoid any awkward silence.

Cress inahled loudly. "It completely healed." Cress said, swinging her arms by her side.

Liam nodded, listening as they walked. His backpack swung on his shoulder, thumping against his back as they continuously stepped forward.

"Cress?" Liam murmured.

"Yeah, what?" Cress asked, facing forward.

"At Sinema," Liam paused. "Kira was saying something. In Japenese. Do you remember?"

Cress frowned. "Weird."

"What?" Liam asked.

She shook her head. "No, I don't remember."

Cress' phone buzzed, making her almost jump out of her skin. She laughed as she pulled it out and groaned aloud. "Uh, it's Theo." She rolled her eyes to the sky and back.

"Theo?" Why is Theo texting you?" Liam shook his head, taken aback. "Wait, why does he even have your number?"

Cress shrugged, reading the text. "He put it in my phone last week."

"You saw him last week? When?" Liam asked, stopping in front of Cress. They were only a few blocks away from the school.

Cress rolled her eyes. "He followed me to the gaveyard."

"Wha —" Liam began but was interrupted.

"But he actually gave me his number when he was at my house." Cress nodded, recalling the timeline of events.

"He was in your house?" Liam asked, a tone of anger in his voice. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't think it was important." Cress put her phone away and stepped past Liam, continuing her journey to the school.

"Cress, he's a psychopathic maniac!" Liam said, raising his voice and hurrying to keep up next to her.

"Says who?" Cress scoffed with a frown.

"Says Stiles!" Liam exclaimed.

"So you say because Stiles says?" Cress tilted her head.

Liam tilted his head forward. "Was that even a question?"

"It felt like one." Cress said, turning the corner. The school came into view. She stepped quickly, praying that this conversation would end soon.

"Cress, you should've told us!" Liam growled at her.

She stopped short, spinning as she did. She angrily held her phone up to his face to show him the messages. "Theo has texted me three times, none of which I have actually responded to. Happy?"

Liam chewed his lip awkwardly. He may have overacted a bit. "Sorry." He muttered.

She sighed. "It's fine. Don't worry, I'll tell you if I see him again — outside of school that is. I don't want to have to tell you that I 'accidentally' passed him in hallway."

Liam breathed a laugh and started walking again, Cress close beside him. Cress' heart jumped when she realised that their arms were touching as they walked. It was probably pretty awkward but she didn't make any attempt to move further away.