5. It's Better When They Know

Chapter Five: (edited)

Stiles angrily jumped into his Jeep, slammed the door closed and twisted the keys in the ignition, allowing engine to shudder and roar to life.

"What's a criminal trimmer?" Liam asked curiously from beside him. Stiles pressed his eyes closed and let out a defeated sigh, trying to gain control of his frustration.

Stiles opened his eyes and looked to the right to see Liam in the front seat and Cress leaning over his shoulder in the back. They both looked strangely cheerful and nonchalant, which seemed to agitate Stiles more. Liam lifted the forms in his hand that Stiles had shown Scott, Kira and Malia only ten minutes ago.

The signature of Theo Raeken's dad was definitely different, though his friends had difficulty trying to notice it.

Admittedly, maybe taking two wolves with him wouldn't be the worst idea.

Stiles reached over and snatched the pages from Liam's grasp and threw them to the ground. "Doesn't matter." He grumbled reluctantly. Stiles hastily reversed from the parking space and pulled out onto the road.

_______________________

Theo opened the trunk of his shiney grey SUV, his eyes studying its contents. It only had a net and a small brown paper-wrapped package in the trunk. He pulled out the package and slammed the car trunk closed. He peered around, just to ensure he hadn't been followed. No one seemed to be there, so he turned and headed towards the bridge, only a couple of kilometers away or so.

"I told you he was up to something." Stiles whispered almost joyfully to Liam and Cress, who all crouched behind a bush, watching Theo intently.

The sun had set and it was almost 7pm. The breeze was chilly, causing Cress to pull against her hoodie and leather jacket, tightening the fabric around her shoulders.

"We just spent three hours, watching this dude play video games in his bedroom." Liam growled gruffly, fidgeting as he tried to ignore the cramps the began to build up in his crouched legs.

"I'd rather not think about that waste of time." Cress murmured, mostly to herself but received a disdainful glance from Stiles.

"He better be a mass murderer." Liam commented under his breath, exhaling a long lungful of air.

"We're about to find out." Stiles decided, standing up and following Theo through the woods, keeping himself concealed behind the trees and shrubs. Cress and Liam exchanged a slightly worried glance before hurrying after Stiles as quietly as they could.

"You still got his scent?" Stiles inquired in an almost tired tone as he plodded along behind the two wolves.

"Don't need it." Cress uttered while shaking her head as she pointed her index finger down to Theo's footprints in the mud.

Liam paused his walking for a few seconds, causing Stiles and Cress to turn around with confusion in their expressions when they heard the leaves beneath his shoes stop crunching.

"What?" Stiles grimaced, rolling his eyes in exasperation and placing his hands on his hips.

"What's wrong?" Cress asked carefully, trying not to snap at him despite the fact they he was now holding them up.

"I forgot — I were supposed to meet Mason at the school gym." Liam recalled, a deep amount of worry in his eyes.

Cress dropped her shoulders in defeat. How could she have possibly forgotten? She's told Mason she'd be there too. She'd promised Mason less than four hours ago!