23. Three Seconds

Chapter twenty-four:

Cress used as much concentration as she possibly could until she'd managed to drag Liam into a quick dream--or whatever it was called. He looked incredibly confused.

"Cress? What's going on? Are you alright?" Liam stepped forward, reaching out to her.

"Liam, you need to listen to me right now." Cress lent back from his grasp. He looked a little hurt but listened anyway. "There's another Chimera. I know who it is."

"Who?" Liam asked, eyes widening. "Cress, who is it?"

She hesitated by inhaled a breath of determination. "Hayden."

"Hayden?" Liam shook his head with confusion. He looked down at her, expecting her to say that she was kidding or something.

"Yeah," She nodded. She gasped and licked her lips with fear. Her eyes darted around frantically--which Liam noticed.

"Cress, you okay?" He touched her shoulder but she flinched and stepped back. Her entire body tensed. Her chest was rising and falling heavily, like she was hyperventilating.

"They're here." Cress said, her boy rigid. And with that, the dream completely faded.

Liam jerked awake from where he'd fallen asleep, head on his desk. He was still in class. He glanced over his shoulder to where Cress sat.

She noticed him watching--probably by wolf senses. She gave a nod and looked back down to her text book. Then Liam cautiously peeked at Hayden — who also seemed fine.

What was happening to him?

______________________

Later that evening, right before Cinema opened, Liam decided to pay Hayden a visit. After following her around and insisting that Hayden took the money--which she declined numerous times--an idea sprang to mind.

"Hayden?" He asked, stepping towards her as she placed a small light in a cup and then down onto the table. "Can I ask you to do something else for me?"

"What?" She asked, watching him suspiciously.

He turned to look up at her. "Close your eyes." He requested.

Her face scrunched up as she smiled down at him. "Are you kidding?" She turned and placed another candle into a cup--and then onto the table.

"Please." He said with more determination.

"No." She said, clearly annoyed.

"Please, just two seconds." Liam insisted. "I swear, I'm not gonna do anything."

"Why?" Hayden asked, turning to face him. Her eyebrows knitted together as she frowned down at him.

"All you have to do is close your eyes for three seconds." Liam tried again.

"You said two." Hayden argued.

"Okay, well three. Three at the most." Liam begged.

Sighing, she closed her eyes reluctantly. "This is stupid."

Liam turned and picked a small green glow stick from the table. He clicked it between his fingers, allowing the glow to brighten. "One second."

Looking up, he brought the glow stick beside her face. The green illuminated her face gently, making her almost look like an evil witch--which Liam couldn't help but notice. "Okay, open them."

Slowly, her eyelids flicked up, revealing her eyes. They were still eyes, to say the least. Only, there were glowing as well. Like a blue, green, opal kind of color. Almost like she was wearing contact lenses.

Liam dropped his eyes, in disappointment. Of course she was a Chimera. Dropping the glow stick, he raked his fingers through his hair.

"What's wrong?" Hayden questioned angrily.

Liam sucked in a long breath and began telling her about the supernatural.

______________________

Cress let out a sigh as she exited the graveyard. She hadn't been planning on visiting her mom, but she decided to do it anyway. She lowered her eyes to her phone as the screen lit up with call incoming from Liam. Sighing, she answered.

"Hello?" She asked into the phone.

"Hey. You were right. She's a Chimera." Liam said strongly.

Cress frowned. "What?"

"Hayden. She's a Chimera. Just like you said." He said with more urgency.

"Liam, I never said--" Cress paused when she noticed a figure step towards her.

"Cress?" Liam's voice crackled when she didn't finish her sentence. "Cress are still there?"

"Liam, I got to go. I'll talk to you later." She pulled the phone away from her ear and hung up immediately. She glanced back up at the approaching figure. "Theo? Is that you?" She asked, wondering if she'd just mistaken him for someone else.

Theo watched her uncertainly for a moment before swinging out his hand, letting it smack against Cress' head. She fell to the ground unconsciously as Theo stared down at her with a satisfied smile.