6. Broken

Chapter Six: (edited) - 5x02

Theo began to step forward to close the gap between him and the group but paused when Liam let out an angered growl and attempted to move forward.

Stiles and Cress gently placed their hand against his chest to stop him from ripping into Theo.

Theo raised in hands to show that he meant no harm, his eyes flicking from Stiles to Liam. "Why do I get the feeling this kid's tougher than he looks?" He asked, eyes flicking back to Liam's angry blue eyes. Liam shuffled his weight, clenching his fists by his side.

"Only when we let him off his leash." Stiles grunted threateningly, glancing up at Theo.

"Stiles," Theo smiled warmly and spread his hands out. "We were in Little League together. Why are you so suspicious of me?"

Stiles hesitated for several moments before he found the right words to say. Reluctantly, Stiles reached into his pocket and pulled out the two pieces of paper he'd shown to Scott, Kira and Malia. One was a speeding ticket from eight years before and the other was a Theo's high school entry form. Both forms had been signed by Theo's father — but the signature looks different.

Stiles extended his hand and offered the sheets of paper to Theo with a blank expression. "Because of these."

Theo reached out and grasped the pages between his index finger and thumb. He carefully unfolded the sheets and looked down at them in bewilderment, his eyes scanning the page from left to right.

"One's a speeding ticked signed by your dad, eight years ago. The other's a signature on a transfer form to Beacon High; they're different." Stiles informed him grimly, careful to avoid eye contact.

"Huh." Theo mused, pondering over the forms. "Yeah, they do look a little different." He glanced back up at Stiles with an expression that said Stiles was crazy; which he probably most likely was, in Cress' opinion.

"No, they're totally different. Signed by two different people." Stiles said in an exasperated tone as he folded his arms across his chest.

"So my dad's not my dad?" Theo chuckled up at Stiles, disbelief in his eyes. "Like he's an impostor?"

"Something like that." Stiles said, glaring at Theo.

Almost defeatedly, Theo looked down at Cress, as if just noticing her. His lips parted like he wanted to say something but he quickly looked away, finding other words to form. "Who do you think I am?"

"Well, we don't know yet." Stiles confirmed dryly.

"Want me to give you a DNA sample or something?" Theo said, his eyes sparking with amusement.

Stiles spread his hands in annoyance, rolling his eyes in annoyance. "No, I don't have anything from fourth grade to match it to."

Theo paused and looked back down as he folded the sheets of paper back up. "You know, Stiles, I came back here for Scott and Cress. But I also came back for you."

Stiles squinted his eyes in disbelief, fidgeted, persistently shifting his weight.

"Someone like you." Theo began slowly and carefully, as if he were treading in deep waters. "Someone who's willing to walk into the woods in the middle of the night to protect his friends."

Liam turned his eyes to the dark soil on the ground. He felt slightly bad for ever thinking that Theo might not be who he said he was. He thought Theo had been who Stiles had said he was. But Theo didn't appear to be evil. He sounded truly sincere about what he was saying.