21. Forty Three More

Chapter Twenty-two:

Cress groaned as she finally collapsed onto her bed after a brutal day of school. She let her eyes close for a few moments before jumping back up with a new found motivation. She propped her window open, allowing a cool breeze to float in. She'd closed her door as she'd entered her room, knowing that studying should be her first priority. Her eyeliner had most likely smudged beneath her eyes, but she hardly cared. Oh well, she wasn't seeing anyone that night — besides her family.

Cress reached over and pulled her bag onto the bed as climbed onto the mattress. She unzipped her bag and pulled out her mathematics text book. She flicked it open and sat it in front of her. She took a deep breath and let her eyes float over the pages. After reading an entire paragraph, she had to restart it because she couldn't focus.

She let out a groan and pressed her knuckles to her forehead until they turned white. Her head felt cloudy. Why did math have to be so hard? That's why she'd had to repeat freshman year! Because she didn't understand the mathematics and the sciences and basically everything else that wasn't reading.

She chewed her lip and shook her head and began reading again. She took in most of it--which was great. Before she forgot, she scrawled a few notes into her notebook. She was determined to be ahead of class this year. With everything supernatural, she'd need to be extra prepared for school. She blinked with a frown when she noticed the sun had fallen. She'd been studying for three hours. And she'd only made a small dent in the text book. She leaned back, falling back onto the bed with a deep sigh. God, why?

She jumped back up when she heard her window squeak. She pushed herself up from the mattress and hurried over to her open window. There was nothing there--just the tree beside it was swaying louder than usual and the breeze had certainly picked up dramatically. She pulled her window close, shaking her head at her weak paranoia.

She turned back, ready to continue on her homework but jerked back with a shriek when she saw someone standing in her bedroom. Her hands flew to her mouth as she stifled a gasp. Tall. Muscular. Shady as hell. Theo. After a few moments of her heart having a panic attack, she lowered her hands but her eyes were wide.

She stiffened and squared her shoulders bravely. "What are you doing here?" She asked sternly.

Theo's lips parted. "Came to see you. Noticed you haven't been to the graveyard in a while."

She tilted her head to the side, a small scow on her face. "How do you know that?"

Theo shrugged shortly, frowning.

"Still, what are you doing here?" Cress grimaced. She didn't want to hate him. He seemed like a nice guy. Theo shook his head like he had no particular reason to be standing in the center of her bedroom.

"I, uh, I don't —" He stuttered.

"Theo." She growled firmly.

Theo's eyes flicked down in defeat. He looked back up to her as he began. "I came to ask you about something." He continued when Cress nodded for him press on. "While at the animal clinic — you looked kinda frightened." He prompted.

"My stomach had been sliced open," She clarified with one eyebrow arched. "In case you hadn't noticed."

"Right, yeah, but I mean, after that." Theo shifted uncomfortably. "Did you see something — or someone?"

Cress pulled back and tensed once again. But she didn't hold back any information. He must have known anyway. "I'll tell you what I saw. But you can't tell Scott, understand me?" She pointed at him threateningly. He smirked and nodded.