8. Indistinguishable

Chapter Eight:

"You were told to practice." Theo uttered, remaing in his unsettlingly calm state.

His 'parents' mournfully looked down at the two pieces of paper that Theo had attained from Stiles.

"They were supposed to be indistinguishable from the original. They were supposed to be perfect." He hummed regretfully with dark eyes. Theo looked up at the backs of his fake parents who stared ahead with fear, not daring to turn around.

"I swear," said his 'father' earnestly. "I practiced, hundreds upon hundreds of times."

"I wouldn't say hundreds." His 'mother' sneered cruelly, giving the man an icy glare before sheepishly looking away for calling him out.

"There is one way of falsing the issue to be explained." Theo walked to the head of the table to look down at them. He held his hands behind his back patiently with squared shoulders. "It's not easy to write when you're wearing a cast." He mused, his eyes dropping down to his father's.

When his fake parents tilted their heads slightly, not quite understanding, Theo slowly pulled a hammer from behind his back. He held it up and twisted in his hands, admiring the cold silver shine of it. "Is it?" He asked, blinking his eyes back towards his father.

His mother and father gasped with terror as they suddenly understood what Theo had in mind.

Theo raised his eyebrows and flicked his eyes to the table, waiting expectantly.

When his father realised that his wife wasn't go to do anything to help him, he flinched with defeat, feeling sick to his stomach at the thought of what Theo was about to do.

He slowly unballed his fist from his side and hesitantly slid it across the table. His hand suddenly felt incredibly exposed.

Theo raised his eyes to his father while his mother turned her head away. Theo raised the hammer above his shoulder and contorted his face as he smashed it down, hearing the gruesome yet surprisingly satisfying sound of crushing bones.

______________________

Later that night, Cress decided to venture out to her favourite spot of lonesomeness. She usually preferred being on her own. Plus, she didn't often have the opportunity to visit her mother — or her grave anyway.

She came to the graveyard at least once a month, just to sit with Claudia. She'd sometimes do her homework, or she'd talk to her. It was almost 7pm and the moon cast an eery beam of light over the graveyard, bringing shivers up Cress' spine.

She crept through the always-open gate and made her way through the isles of headstones, keeping her eyes ahead. She hated that she had to pass so many dead people on her way, but she supposed that the end of the journey was worth it.

After the she'd passed a certain amount of isles, she turned off right, mentally recalling the path she had to take. She didn't even need to think about where she was going; it was all natural to her now.

She scowled ahead with curled lips, mentally scolding herself for not visiting in the day-lit hours.

She heard a twig snap behind her, causing her to spin around, heart pounding against her ribcage.

"Hello?" She called out into the darkness, gulping down a lump of fear. Nothing moved or spoke back. Still nothing. "Stupid birds." She concluded as she pulled at her grey hoodie and leather jacket, bringing it tighter around her shoulders as she hunched against the cold.

She turned back around and continued walking, pushing aside her anxiety. She had to go through the woodsy part of the graveyard, since her mother had an unusual and separate location. It wasn't an easy path and she had to strain her eyes against the dark to keep from running into trees.