28. Only Weakness

Chapter Twenty-nine:

Liam frowned when his ears picked up a shriek of pain — followed by an blood-curdling scream that pierced the quiet night air. 

Liam frowned and turned when the sound stopped. There was nothing. And the a soft buzzing.

"Did you hear that?" Liam asked Hayden.

"They're here," She shifted from foot to foot. "Aren't they? They're in the school."

Liam sighed and began moving towards the door as Hayden cowered back. "Scott? Lydia? Cress?"

The door shifted open. In the door frame, stood one of them — the dread doctors.

Liam let out a silent breath and half ran, half stumbled back towards Hayden. Liam stood protectively next to Hayden as the other doctors entered the locker room.

Using its cane, one of the doctors knocked Parrish's frequency devices off the shelf. It clattered to the ground as the doctor mumbled.

"We are on a frequency you can't possibly imagine." The first doctor said, sending a chill up both Hayden and Liam's spines. The doctor lifted its cane and smashed it into the center of the device.

______________________

Scott and Mason busted into the locker room with a determined urgency.

"They're gone." Lydia breathed. "Hayden and Liam are gone."

______________________

"Liam!" Cress cried out as she tried to shake Liam awake. "Liam, what are you doing here?"

Liam's eyes flicked open slowly.

The first thing he noticed? It was Cress — the fearful look in her eyes.

His first thought? It was that he needed to protect her. He couldn't stand to see the worry in her eyes. He had to make it better.

The second thing he noticed? Where they were. In a dark room. Green. It looked like a sewer — and smelt like one too. There were spine-chilling tools and devices everywhere Liam looked.

But he set Cress as a focal point. He didn't want to lose sight of her. He noticed that there was blood smeared underneath her nose and down her mouth towards her chin. She had a bruise beside her eye.

"Cress?" He croaked groggily and stiffened. "What happened?"

She breathed a quick laugh of relief before her form began to buzz, disappearing before Liam.

"Cress?" Liam tried harder to pull at the strap but it still kept him in place. He struggled until he realised that she'd never even been there. It was his imagination.

Liam laid back down as he noticed that his blood had been draining into a small tube up into a glass jar. He winced as the back of his head met the concrete. His eyes began to grow droopy until he was again unconscious.