19. The Doctors Are In

Chapter Nineteen:

Cress pressed her lips together as she caught a glimpse of Tracy's locker. It had a claw mark on the front and was taped with crime scene tape. Tracy was officially missing — according to the police. But Cress knew the truth. Tracy was dead. And so was her dad.

Cress turned away from the locker, a surprisingly deep sadness growing in her heart. She turned away and saw Theo. He was talking to another student, but when he saw her he smiled.

Cress dropped her eyes, pretending to not notice him, and walked straight past Theo — away from Tracy's locker.

As she walked, she thought about the Dread Doctors.

Why hadn't they come for her?

Heart pounding, she spun around, not as expected, they weren't there. She'd thought she'd seen them after she'd been cut and was in Deaton's office. Maybe she was going insane?

The bell rang out through the speakers, earning groans from just about every student, who reluctantly turned and headed to their next class. Last class of the day. Science. Great. Science was her other weak spot.

Well, just about every subject besides reading was her weak side. Dropping her shoulders, she left the cafeteria and made her way to her next class. She didn't have Liam or even Mason.

_______________________

Cress exhaled loudly, dropping her bag next to the door that closed behind her.

"Dad, I'm home!" Cress bellowed up the stairs as she turned and headed towards the refrigerator.

Sherif Stilinski scurried down the stairs., wearing his badge from the kitchen bench. "Hey," he breathed, pinning his badge to his shirt.

"Hey?" Cress asked, smiling confusedly at her dad's work uniform.

Sherif grumbled loudly. "Sorry, can't stay, gotta work." He  frowned, planted a kiss on his daughter's forehead and began to make his way to the door, hurrying outside and locking the door behind him.

Cress shrugged and turned to the fridge. There was a sticky note taped to the door. Cress frowned as she pulled off the note to read it.

Heading out. Won't be home until late. -Stiles

Sighing with relief, Cress scrunched up the note and threw it into the trash can.

Pulling open the refrigerator door, her eyes scanned its contents. Mainly energy drinks.

Cress pulled out a bottle of juice, letting the door slam behind her. She turned, juice in hand, grabbed her bag from the front and hurried upstairs. She opened her closed door and dumped the bag on the bed.

"Stiles, you home?" Cress yelled out through her doorway, just to be sure.

No answer.

Good.

Collapsing backwards into her bed, she sighed deeply. It had definitely been a while since she got the house to herself, or just had time to relax and not have to fight creepy new creations.

Cress rolled onto her side and dug her iPhone from the bag. Pursing her lips, she scrolled through her first couple of messages from one of her classmates.

They hadn't messaged much — just a few messages here and there. She'd eaten lunch with him earlier that day. He seemed like a nice guy. Still, she wondered how long she'd get to be friends with him before he found out the truth. Sighing, she closed the phone let it drop onto the bed. She climbed off her bed and looked around her room.