32. Alpha Red

Chapter thirty-three:

Cress frowned down at the page of scribbles. She'd been staring at it for almost an hour and still couldn't come to terms with it. She jumped when her iPhone began to buzz. She tilted her head as she picked up the phone. Mason. She slid across the answer button and held the phone to her ear.

"Cress?" Mason said before she could even answer the phone. "I need you to meet me at the school now."

She climbed off her bed and headed to her dresser to pick up her jacket. "What's wrong?"

"Melissa told me to find Liam and Scott. It's the Super Moon tonight and I'm not sure that if I even find Liam, that I'd be able to control him." Mason grunted disdainfully.

Cress nodded her head even though Mason couldn't see it. "Yeah, I'll see you in ten." She hung up immediately and made her way to the closed bedroom door, sliding her phone into the deep pocket of her leather jacket. She pulled the door open quickly, cringing as it squeaked at the hinges. She stepped into the dark hallway, hit off the light switch in her bedroom and harshly pulled the door closed, letting it click close behind her.

She continued on her journey and eventually made it outside. Letting out a sigh of relief, she pushed herself into a sprint down the sidewalk.

______________________

Mason shuffled from foot to foot as he waited impatiently for Cress. He hadn't seen any sight of Scott or Liam, so he'd decided to wait — or cower — patiently in the parking lot.

"Hey!" Cress heaved breathlessly as she halted in front of Mason. "Seen them yet?"

Mason chewed his lip and shook his head. "No, not yet. Let's go." Mason and Cress set off towards the double front doors of the school. As they stepped inside, they noticed something.

It was quiet.

Not just quiet. Eerily quiet.

Mason and Cress exchanged an unsure glance but continued on down the dark and deserted hallway. "Scott!" Mason yelled in a loud whisper. "Liam!"

As expected, there were no responses.

After searching classrooms and corridors and even the cafeteria, they stopped, shoulders dropping. They'd made their way back to the front corridor after searching for ten minutes.

"Why aren't they here?" Cress frowned as she glanced around in bewilderment. "Scott said he was coming here."

"And Liam said he was meeting Scott here." Mason added, also in confusion.

Cress chewed her lip and shook her head, trying to think. Had Scott said he was going somewhere after the school?

Mason pulled out his cellphone as it's muffled ringtone came from his pocket. He pressed answer and held it to his ear. "Melissa?" A crackling voice came from the other end and Mason's eyes lowered. "I'll find him."

"What is it?" Cress asked, watching him with empathy. She could sense his disappointment. Not in Melissa, but rather in himself.

"Hayden's dead." Mason gulped. He quickly pulled himself together. "We need to find Liam now."

Causing Mason and Cress to jump, a loud crash — like something solid smashing — thundered down the hallway. Their heads spun in the direction it had come from; to their right.

"What was that?" Cress breathed, brown eyes wide.

"And where did it come from?" Mason wondered.

An idea sparked in the back of Cress' head. "The library!" She cheered, spinning back on Mason. He nodded in agreement as they both took off in the direction of the library. They stopped halfway, noticing that a lot of damage had been done to one of the corridors. It had crime scene tape surrounding it.

"Damn it." Cress hissed. "Let's go." She ducked underneath the tape as a hesitant Mason followed. They hurtled the debris and dodged the fallen beams and eventually made it to the other side. Smiling, Cress began to sprint towards the library. The edged closer and closer towards the doors and became more aware of the horrid sounds coming from inside. A lot of grunting and growling. Smashing and crashing. It sounded like two guys fighting. Like two wolves fighting.

Shrieking with realisation, Cress fled into the library, Mason right behind her. The two gasped at what they saw. Liam had pinned Scott onto the ground by the stairs. He was slicing at Scott's chest as the Alpha cowered beneath his arms.

"Liam!" Mason yelled in horror. "Liam!"

"Liam, stop!" Cress shrieked.

The Beta pulled back one of his arms, ready to slash into Scott again but stopped, panting. Scott dropped his arms either side of him. Blood was smeared across his mouth and face, and his eyes were closed. Liam turned, looking over his raised shoulder. He was in wolf form, yellow eyes glowing, hand still raised.

"Liam, what are you doing?" Mason grunted as he and Cress walked slowly towards him.

Liam turned his head and looked at his raised and bloodied hand. He lowered it to be right in front of his face. Scott's head turned a little, giving relief to Mason and Cress that he was still alive.

"Hayden?" Liam whimpered.

"She's gone." Cress sighed, eyebrows knit together. Liam turned back towards them. His eyes slowly turned back to their human colour.

Mason licked his lips. "Hayden died a few minutes ago. She's gone."

______________________

Mason and Cress hurried over to help Scott stand back up. Liam stood, chest rising and falling. He looked at a complete loss.

Cress turned back to Scott. "You okay?" He murmured a quiet 'yes', earning a smile from his friend. She turned back Liam and hurried over, placing her hand on his shoulder. "You can say goodbye."

He raised his head as their eyes met. He gave an unsteady nod.

"Yeah? Ok." She breathed with a smile. She pulled at his arm and guided him out of the library. She eventually managed to pull him into a run, which only then had the information settled into his brain. Hayden was dead.

"Scott?" Mason asked, as Scott leaned against him. "What happened?"

"It's the Super Moon." Scott muttered. "It's just —"

"Bad timing." A new voice growled. Scott and Mason looked up to see Theo. Theo stormed towards them, fists clenched. His eyes pierced into Mason's. "I mean seriously? You couldn't have waited five minutes?"

Theo grabbed at Mason and threw him sideways. Mason's head hit the edge of a desk and he fell onto the ground, unconscious.

Theo pulled out his claws. "I should've stayed." He sneered. "I should've made sure."

Scott painfully nodded. "Because now you have to kill me yourself."

"They're still mine." Theo hissed. "Maybe not now, but they'll come around."

"Not for you." Scott shook his head.

Theo pulled his face into an expression of anger. He pushed forward, claws embedding into Scott's abdomen. Scott's eyes lit up, Alpha red.

Scott winced and whimpered. "They're not like you. They never will be."

"Because I'm a Chimera?" Theo grumbled into Scott's ear. "Because I'm not a real werewolf?"

"Because you're barely even human." Scott said weakly.

Theo screamed and shoved Scott backwards. He hit the stairs and growled. Theo plunged his claws deeper into Scott's flesh, lips curled in disgust and anger. He waited until the life had bled from Scott's eyes, and then pulled his hands back. He stood up watching as the light in Scott's eyes dimmed until it no longer existed.