27. Pain Like This

Chapter Twenty-eight:

Scott hesitated for a moment but walked forward with as much confidence as he could muster; which didn't appear to be much at all. Cress breathed shallowly and followed him. She tried to keep her footsteps as quiet as possible, but everyone time she moved, her converse would screech along the marble floor. She cringed and lifted her foot higher to avoid to much noise.

As Scott and Cress walked further down the corridor, they turned left, away from the stairs that had they had been walking towards. They then took a right, finding themselves in the first corridor of the school.

Scott arrived at Hayden's locker and began twisting the combination padlock.

"Did you hear that?" Cress whispered, standing straighter as the distant noise drifted into her ears.

Scott breathed a soft laugh. "You could be a cat with that feline-skittishness." He joked.

"Scott." Cress warned, her voice low. "I'm serious."

"What is it?" Scott asked, glancing at her over his shoulder.

Cress turned her frown towards him. "You didn't hear that?"

Scott shook his head, giving her a questioning look. "No?"

Cress strained her ears as she listened closer. "It's Lydia." She concluded, pursing her lips.

"Is she alright?" Scott asked, straightening a little.

Cress nodded. "Yeah, I'll be back, okay?" Cress said before turning.

Scott caught her arm, bringing her attention towards him. "Be careful, alright?"

Cress smiled. "It's just Lydia." She pulled away from his grip and smiled up at him. "You be careful too."

She turned and walked slowly down the corridor — back the way they came. Cress turned to her right and began walking towards the locker room entrance — only Lydia wasn't there.

Cress stopped short, frowning.

"Lydia?" She whispered loudly. "Lydia, where are you?"

"Cress! I'm here!" Lydia's voice said from the other way. Cress noticed Lydia standing at the top of the staircase, a frantic expression on her face.

Cress hurried over and ascended the staircase until she stood in front of Lydia. "What is it?"

"Follow me! Cress, hurry up!" Lydia turned and began sprinting down another corridor. Cress, confused, ran after her.

After a few more turns, Lydia stopped with a satisfied breath.

Cress looked around, expecting to see something out of the ordinary.

Nothing. Just empty corridor.

"Lydia, what is it?" Cress asked as Lydia turned around with an expectant smile.

"Cress!" Liam's voice called from down the hallway.

Cress spun, a look of horror on her face. What was going on? "Liam?"

"Cress, I need you for a moment." Liam spoke softly but his voice carried desperation. Cress shook her head when she didn't compute. Suddenly, an arrow plunged through the back of Liam's neck and through the front of his throat. He gasped and cried out in silent pain before falling to his knees.

"Theo!" Cress began to hurry forward but stopped he suddenly disappeared, right before her eyes.

"Cress."

Theo only smiled sweetly, like her was completely oblivious to what had happened to Liam only moments before. Cress paused, wondering how she knew that Theo wasn't real. It was in all her head.

Suddenly, a massive pain erupted in Cress' skull. Cress pressed the palms of her hands to her head as she growled in anguish.

She fell to her knees, panting in pain and fury.

"What's happening?" Cress cried as blood oozed from her nose.

Theo smirked as the pain subsided abruptly.

Cress, exhausted, collapsed onto her back on the marble floor. She panted and whimpered, looking up at the curling as her vision blurred.

"Isn't it crazy how easy it is to get into someone's head?" Theo chuckled and wore an expression of innocence.

"You're not real," Cress' eyes focused on where Liam had been. He'd disappeared. Lydia wasn't there either. It hadn't been real. It had been a trap. Theo had set her up. The dread doctors had set her up.

Cress finding a new determination, rolled onto her elbow. She propped herself up, looking at where Theo had begun walking towards her. Theo's foot came out from beneath her and kicked into the side of Cress' stomach, flipping her over until she'd rolled a couple of times, landing on her back.

She cried out in anguish and pain again.

"Your friends think you're strong don't they?" Theo spat. "To me, you're just pathetic."

"Theo." A mumbled robotic voice said.

Cress fell onto her back defeated. She noticed three figures, all wearing cloaks and masks — the dread doctors. One looked down at her. "Cressanna." It breathed.

Cress' eyes drooped — she must have had a concussion. Cress let out a tired whimper as she slowly fell into unconsciousness.

*fun fact* my dog just trotted into the house and I mistook her for a raccoon...

WE DON'T EVEN HAVE RACCOONS WHERE I LIVE! WHAT THE HELL SASSI?! xD

A/N2: hey everyone. It's been a few hours since I posted this chapter. Just had news that the family member who'd been sick and then recovered has just passed away.
It wasn't unexpected — it's been a rough few weeks of on and off warnings. After the doctors said he would be fine, a few days later he was given a time period.
RIP 💕 thank you for all the support.