Chapter 15

Jesus, I'm awful at updating! Even my cat is disappointed in me, she just flattened her ears and started meowing at me and pawing at my phone.

Shawn's P.O.V.

I heard a loud crash come from inside Sage's house. I heard a yelp from Sage, and I began banging on her front door. "Sage!" I screamed. "Sage are you okay?"

I heard the click of the door unlocking and I shoved my way through the front entrance. First thing I see is Sage standing in the middle of her living room, tears streaming down her eyes, her mismatched socks seeping a dark red through them, and glass was surrounding her. A couple feet away stood a face that I didn't see often. Jax.

Jax was attempting to run to his sister, from the doorway, but he was wobbling. "Sage, I'm so sorry." He slurred.

The usually laid-back Singer was growling and snarling at Jax, biting at his legs. I was completely taken aback at the scene.

Sage had her arms wrapped around her stomach, and looked at me through her teary, mascara stained hazel eyes. "Shawn." She croaked out, her voice raspy, weak and shaky from crying.

"What the hell happened?" I roared, barely even noticing Sage wincing at my anger as I snapped my head around to glare at Jax. "What did you do to her?"

Jax started mumbling out words that I couldn't quite comprehend, and I gave up. "Sage, stay right there, I'm going to get you out of the glass," I paused and looked at her feet. "Then we'll check that out."

I ran to the kitchen where I knew the Emerson family stored their broom. I sent a quick text to my mom telling her to come straight to the Emerson house, and ran back to Sage with the broom. Jax was still there, except he was angrily swatting at Singer as I was sweeping the glass.

The not-so-little-anymore Husky was biting Jax' leg out of anger, trying to pull him away from Sage. Just as I finished sweeping the glass, so that Sage could move, Jax kicked the dog with enough force to send him flying into the opening front door, making Sage shriek.

The fear in Sage's wide teary eyes turned to fury as Singer started to whine in pain. "You stupid fucker!" She screeched, leaping towards her brother.

I grabbed Sage and held her back, and whispered into her ear soothing words as my mom closed the door and called 911.

Quickly explaining the scenario to the police and telling them where we were, she hung up and picked up Singer, who was yelping at the movement.

"Don't move him!" Sage wailed in distress, trying to get to her dog, which I let her. Sage bent down next to Singer, and pet him soothingly. "It'll be okay." I heard her whispering to her dog.

Jax was starting to sober up, and with that he tried to approach his sister. "Sage, I-"

"Stay away from her." I warned the older boy, blocking his way from getting to his sister. "You've caused enough damage."

After what seemed like hours of Sage crying next to her dog, and me keeping Jax away from her, the police and ambulance roared onto the street. My mom whispered something into Sage's ear, and Sage nodded, standing up and slowly limping away from Singer. My mom gently picked Singer up, moving him away from the door so that the ERs could get in.

So much was happening; Jax being handcuffed, Sage being rolled away on a stretcher, my mom on the phone with whom I assumed was Catherina while still petting Singer to calm him down, which wasn't working because as soon as Sage was being out into the ambulance, he started howling and struggling to stand up.

I sat down next to my mom as she gestured me over. "We're going to take Singer to the vet, and then meet Catherina at the hospital afterwards." My mom whispered.

I nodded blankly, too shaken up about what was happening.

Gently, my mom wrapped a blanket around Singer, securing him so that nothing moved painfully, and walked him to our house, where my dad and sister were awaiting for us.

"What happened?" My dad questioned.

I waved him off, telling him that I'd tell him later, before getting into the backseat of the car with Singer, my mom getting in the driver seat.

I just couldn't believe what was happening. When I looked at Singer, he looked distressed, as if being away from Sage was physically painful, and I could picture Sage in the hospital, both her feet covered in glass pieces.

What the actual hell had happened?

So this was a dramatic chapter. I thought Singer was adorably protective of Sage, and my heart was literally breaking as I wrote about Jax hurting him.

I'm crying.

Anyways,

Keep shining!

Xoxo Sarah