Chapter Siete

HAVE you ever seen a big house? With gates, and a high tech security system? If you ever had, multiply that image by two.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Dr. Ella is hiding something. Nobody has that much security without anything to hide. Or something to hide from. Dr. Ella pulled the truck through the gates, after swiping his ID, and the guards verifying that it was actually him. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't this.

Dr. Ella pulled into the drive way, and sent someone to carrying my possessions into the room he said I'd be staying at. "Logan's room is a few rooms down, and mine is directly underneath yours." I nodded, suspicious. "Isn't this security a little bit.. too much? I guess cameras are alright, but actual guards?" Dr. Ella smiled, "I like how you always voice your thoughts. Its a very admirable trait, you know?" He paused for a moment, and thought. "I guess I can be a little over protective, but the guards are just a safety precaution."

That's when I knew Dr. Ella was in some deep shit. He was either keeping something in, or keeping something out. I wasn't sure if I wanted to know the answer, but I wanted to help this guy out. He deserved it.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I curiously followed Dr. Ella as he opened the door to his house (mansion), and called out into the silent room, "Logan! I'm home!" I took a few steps and examined my surroundings. Everything in there was made of leather, and just screamed "Masculine". The place was perfect, and too much like a picture out of a magazine. It was like nobody lived there at all, and honestly, it creeped me out.

Dr. Ella really had the set up though, good sound system, sweet tv.. But it was too much. Dr. Ella opened the large refrigerator, and took out a gallon of milk. "Feel free to take whatever you want, Quinn. Whats ours is yours." I nodded, "Thanks..you know.. for everything." Dr. Ella smiled, "No problem."

Just then I heard footsteps coming from the hallway, therefore I listened intently. It had to be that Logan kid.

Here is what I was expecting; A lanky eight year-old kid, tousled blond hair, and piercing green eyes. So you can imagine my surprise when I saw what walked wandered into the kitchen. "This is... her?" Logan asked, and I rose an eyebrow. "Ok now. That is totally unfair. He knew about me before I knew about him." I looked at Dr. Ella, and back at Logan, who totally wasn't an eight year-old.

Just by looking at Logan, you can tell a lot about him. His shirt was tucked in, his clothes were ironed, hell he even had a pocket protector. He looked like a total smart-ass, and about a year older than I was. Dr. Ella poured a glass of milk, and put the gallon back in the fridge. "Quinn this is Logan, Logan this is Quinn." Doesn't take a rocket scientist to make that conclusion, Bucko. I couldn't help staring at Logan, and realizing how incorrect my prediction was. "Honestly, I thought you were a.....a lot younger. But that's because.." I flashed a look at Dr. Ella, "No one told me better." 

Logan shrugged, "I thought someone named 'Quinn' would be a guy, but... that's because.... no one told me better." I flashed him a wicked glare. Touche. Touche... Dr. Ella drank his milk, and then said, "Logan, would you mind showing Quinn to her room?" He paused for a moment to take another sip out of his glass. "I've got things I've got to do." Logan shrugged as if to say, its cool dad, because we all know that I don't have anything better to do...

I still can't believe it... Logan is older than me. Older. "For a guy with a pocket protector, you shore do have an attitude." Logan shrugged, "Whatever. Just don't disrupt me while I'm in my room." I scoffed, "Hey, no problemo.... You know what? I've got a brilliant idea!" I paused for dramatic effect, "I should disrupt you while you're in your room! Gosh, I can't believe that I hadn't thought about it before..." Sarcasm melted between and into my words as I gave the Logan kid a stare-down.. But technically speaking, it was a stare-up, because he was a little taller than me. That's saying something, because I'm freakishly tall.

Logan sighed, mentally hitting his head on the wall. "Gee wiz. If its this easy to get you annoyed I shall do it more often.." I promise, but the sarcasm was so thick that Logan didn't even know if the promise even counted. "Look Kid, your staying in our house. You piss me off, I kick you out." Logan told me, and I raised my eyebrow. "Ok...Fine.. That's cool..Well.. I mean I guess it just depends on where you decide to kick me..."

I swear I heard him groan, and right then I knew his patience was running low. "Ok, dude. See you later, I guess?" I looked at his expression and shook my head, "No? No, that's cool too. I guess I'll just check my room out, and then raid your refrigerator for ice cream. Tell me you guys eat ice--" I nodded, and backed off. His face was wiped of emotion, and that wasn't fun. Perhaps I shall terrorize him later, yes?

I took a step back, turned the knob to my room, and walked inside. As soon as I stepped a single foot in, man I swear I was blind. There was pink everywhere. (In case you don't know me, my favorite colors are blue and maroon.) I didn't want to complain since, you know, they were letting me stay in their house in all, but pink? Really? And it wasn't even a light pink. Everything was so... girly. With ruffles and fluffles, and then there was my stuff. 

My stuff has personality, therefore it did not tie into the theme of the room. At all. Well, at least I get my own room. Mirabelle free. Turf free.... Shouelle free.....

I can't believe that I turned into such a girl whenever I think about Shouelle. My eyes tear up, and I start to wonder when I'll catch up with Tuscan.

I unpack my clothes, and decide that this pink wasn't going to cut it. I'm going to have to ask Dr. Ella for some paint, advice, and possibly help. Perhaps Logan would like to help? BAH. HAHAHA. That dude seriously doesn't like me. I think I might have pushed him too far back there, but I bet the kid deserved it. I don't think he gets out very often, but that's just a hunch.

I plop down on the ruffly bed, and sink into the mattress. Jeez.

Then I think, which I know, is a great accomplishment for me. Like I finally just stayed in one area and thought. Like as in, using my brain. I thought about the fire at La Salle, Mirabelle, Dad, Mom, Tuscan, and tried to ignore thoughts about Shouelle. Tried. Its just so hard to try to not think of her, when she was my best friend. She was the best thing in my gloomy Mirabelle infested past. And trying to think of my life without Shouelle.... Its impossible. It really is.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I slipped on my baggy, fuzzy, tinker bell pajama pants, a sliky black tank top, and fuzzy black flip-flop slippers. Then I put my hair into a pony tail, and left the room.

I walked down the hallway, and into the bigger-than-really-necessary kitchen. I honestly wasn't expecting anyone to be in there, so I was surprised to see Dr. Ella sitting by the counter on his laptop. "Sup?" I asked, and walked to the fridge, opened the freezer, and gave a small smile. Jackpot.

"You're awesome." I said as I pulled out a box of Snicker's Ice Cream. Dr. Ella stared up from his screen as I opened the lid. You guys suck. (The box was half empty.) "Craving?" He asked, and I rolled my eyes. "You could call it that."

"Bowls are in the cupboard to the right, and spoons are in the drawer next to the fridge." I nodded and acted like I totally knew that. We were silent as I got out a bowl and spoon. "So how are you and Logan coming along?" Dr. Ella asked, looking back down at the screen. "Oh he adores me." I joked, and scooped a few scoops of ice cream into the bowl. Dr. Ella nodded, looking up at me for a moment, and then back down at his laptop. 

I took my bowl of ice cream, and sat across from him. It was really awkward, and I felt like I was out of place, like a totally didn't belong. "Shouldn't you be sleeping?" He asked the screen. "Nope." I replied, "I like to stay up as long as I can..." So I don't have to face my variety of nightmares. Dr. Ella shrugged, "Remember that you still have school tomorrow.." I nodded, yeah. There's still school. I can't believe it just slipped my mind.

After I finished my ice cream, I put the dishes in the dishwasher. "Good Night Dr.Ell--" He cut me off. "Call me Sean." I nodded, and was starting to leave when he asked, "What were you about to call me?" I shrugged, embarrassed. "Dr. Ella. You're last name is a handful to say, so I shortened it." Dr. Ella chuckled, and I smiled. "How about I call you Ella instead?" I joked. He shrugged, "Whatever is easier for you works for me." At that I smiled again, and said good night.