Chapter - One

Chapter One:

Scene: Clothing store, slow day.

"It's okay, she's skinnier, she's prettier, I wouldn't choose me either."

  THERE ARE TIMES  when you are forced to participate in an activity you don't fancy. Being an overweight girl who hasn't been in any intimate relationship in nearly three years, is difficult to walk out the door into reality, because you realize you're not the image they want to see. You wonder where it all took a turn into the pitch black palace where you never thought you will be at to tour.

  The nerves at the bottom of my stomach grow within. I can feel the lump in my throat enlarge as I stand between my close friends. Their lean hands switch through the pairs of clothes that hung on the rack dully, while their eyes observe each individual piece of fabric.

   I wish I had her body. I think to myself as I observe one of my friends, Laura, who is skimming through clothes in search for the perfect wardrobe. Her self-esteem tops mine by miles; she finds outstanding comfort in her body. Then I look around the clothing store and my eyes catch a quick glimpse of my body through an elongated framed mirror. The image stains my mind, traumatically almost. My attention returns to the rack, so that I can allow myself to indulge in the shopping.

    Suddenly, Laura holds up a shirt and a pair of denim shorts, "Thea, try this on." She smiles whilst handing the clothes to me. Laura's voice is dreamy, to the point of soothing, which causes my emotions to simmer down a notch.

   My eyes look to Laura, a slight frown pasted on my facial structure when my eyes find the wardrobe she has picked out for me. The frown on my face deepens, but I refuse to show my actual impression on the outfit.

   "Try it on," My other companion, Valerie encourages as she took out a floral blouse from the metal rack, her eyes meeting mine for just a quick second. "Don't knock it 'til you try it." She added in a sigh as she pressed the floral blouse over her original clothes.

  I observe the clothing Laura has raised up. The wardrobe was simply an opaque crop top and an pair of loose shorts. My eyes widen slightly, but with a small smile I take the clothes from Laura and head towards the fitting room.

  "Where's the manager of this place?" I hear Laura continue on a conversation, but her voice fades as I lengthen the distance between us . "They need to..." Is the last three I hear before the rest of Laura's talk turns into nothing but faint muffs.

  Finally I reach a series of dressing rooms, which had thick, red curtains as their doors. I randomly select and slide open a curtain to excess an empty room. A sigh of relief departs from my lips when I find the space behind the curtain vacant. Scoffing, I enter the room and begin to slowly strip off my clothes and try to avoid the body length mirror that was placed neatly in the corner of the small room.

   My hand reaches the crop-top and I easily put on the fabric. In the following of putting on the slick material, I grab the pair of the loose denim shorts. Now this one I struggle with, the band of the shorts stops at mid thigh. After multiple failed attempts of squeezing in and forcing on the clothing, I decided to put a halt on my actions and call for some help. Last time I forced on a pair of tight clothes, I had to pay fifty dollars for the destruction of a blouse, two jeans, and a set of undergarments.

Waddling towards an open crevice of the thick curtain, I stick my head out just by a few inches.

  "Laura, Valerie," I hiss, hoping no other than those two would respond. After a minute of silence, I give another call but this time in a sharp whisper, "Laura, Valerie? Get your asses over here!"

Another silence.

  "Oh god. . ." I huffed as I tried to set some sort of plan.  My body shuffles toward the open crevice of the curtain once a again and my eyes skim the clothing store before me. It seems empty, maybe the employees are busy elsewhere in the store. I would run along to find my friends, but the upper half of my bum is literally busting out the shorts. "Val, Laura?" I call once again  and thankfully a familiar figure can be seen making towards the fitting room I am currently in.

  After another short pause, my impatience began to grow. Soon I felt myself beginning to strip off the clothes off my body and put on my original personal clothing. For a few seconds I allow myself to collect whats left of my enthusiasm. And with that I exit the dressing room, the clothes draped over my forearm .

   A series of small steps are heard behind me. Alarmed, I turn to see Valerie, who seemed confused to see me in my casual clothing, "You haven't tried on the clothes?" She asked whilst looking at the clothes hanging over my arm.

   "I did, but.." before I can finish my explanation, my sentence is cut short.

  Valerie sighs, "It's alright. Should've remembered that you are not keen on those kind of clothes," She gives me a small smile before the taking the clothes from me. "I'll put these, go ahead and at least find a shirt." Valerie suggest before making toward the clothing rack to put back the clothes Laura picked out for me.

  After about an hour or so, all three of us were rejoined at the register, so that Laura could pay for the pants she brought to the register. Laura pays the amount due and finally we exit the shop. We wait outside patiently for the taxi. A pause takes over and I decide to break the silence, "You convinced Evan to go on a date with me, did you?" I ask Laura with a low voice before setting my bum onto the the public bench that was right outside the shop.

    "Not really, he wants you to catch up with you, since you dropped out," Laura informs me as she picks at her nails.

   Seconds after she finishes her explanation, the taxi appears and parks at the space right in front of us. Without another word, we board the vehicle. And to my surprise the driver seems quite young, a bit too young to be a taxi driver, judging by his hair which showed no white or gray streaks of any kind. I look to the others to see their reactions. Laura seemed bored while Valarie looked at the man adoringly. Quickly before the man begins to drive Valerie jumps out the car and decided to seat herself in the passenger side.

  "Where to?" The man had a slight accent as he spoke. 

  Until now, I realize why Val chose the passenger seat. I feel the stoves of my cheeks warm up as the man had his body turn to me and Laura, his eyes were of a pool of captivating blue. No words were able to be made out by mouth. The man clears his throat, "Where to?" He repeats as he reversed the car out the lot.

  "Discovery,"Laura tells the man in her usual voice.

The driver nods once and begins to drive to the destination. I watch as Valerie tries to make herself appear more appealing to the man, by fixing her posture.

While Val tries to seduce the taxi driver, Laura and I simply stare out the tinted windows. My eyes observe the forestry we are passing by rapidly, due to the speed of the car. Suddenly, I feel a warmth press against the side of my shoulder.

   "Evan is glad to be seeing you again," Laura whispers into my ears.

For some reason, my face heats up at what she said. It's been a few years since I have last seen him. But I know all is that Evan's optimism will turn into disappointment the moment he sees me.

178

Slow at first, but things speed up a bit.

Note: I've changed the number! The story may contain content NOT suitable for the younger audience. If you are uncomfortable with mature content such as, sexual, violence, self-mutilation, and foul language, do not continue!